Author Topic: Vintage Philips Lifeguard Bulb - Need Assistance  (Read 1808 times)
genephilosophy

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage Philips Lifeguard Bulb - Need Assistance « on: July 29, 2022, 09:07:30 PM » Author: genephilosophy
Hi everyone, I am in need of some assistance in gaining information on a particular bulb. I'd like to learn more about it and hopefully someone can help me. It was installed as part of a lighting fixture on a large oak tree I had taken down. The tree stood for about 100 years. When I found the bulb I wiped it down and did a little research but was eventually stumped. It appears to be a Philips Lifeguard 175W mercury bulb. However, I am curious approximately when it might have been manufactured and other technical details anyone could share. I've included some pictures here. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: Vintage Philips Lifeguard Bulb - Need Assistance « Reply #1 on: November 11, 2022, 03:10:12 AM » Author: lights*plus
This is a nice and well made lamp, with plenty of life left. I'm curious when this lamp was made too. Now that I've bumped it maybe an expert here might reply.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Vintage Philips Lifeguard Bulb - Need Assistance « Reply #2 on: November 11, 2022, 07:21:33 AM » Author: Rommie
Could do with seeing the etch more clearly, there will be a date code on there somewhere. I think I can see H3 on there, which is August 1983 if it's using the usual Philips code.

Technical specs are easy, this one will be electrically identical.

Hope this helps  :love:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 07:25:47 AM by Rommie » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Vintage Philips Lifeguard Bulb - Need Assistance « Reply #3 on: November 11, 2022, 08:39:39 AM » Author: BT25
The visable H3 is the beginning of the lamp code, which in this case is H39KB-175. Need a better picture of the etch to determine manufacturing date.

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

RadiantMV

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vintage Philips Lifeguard Bulb - Need Assistance « Reply #4 on: November 11, 2022, 10:24:32 AM » Author: RadiantMV
Its definitely from the 80s though, as philips abandoned the BT28 shaped lamps by the early 90s.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Vintage Philips Lifeguard Bulb - Need Assistance « Reply #5 on: November 11, 2022, 10:51:10 AM » Author: Rommie
@ BT25 - Ah, that makes sense, shows how much I know  :-[  :mrg:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Vintage Philips Lifeguard Bulb - Need Assistance « Reply #6 on: November 11, 2022, 11:01:21 AM » Author: BT25
@RadiantMV: Philips discontinued the BT28 in 1988... :sadbulb:
@Rommie: You're off the hook...I'm not expecting you to be proficient with US made lamps. ;D
To the OP: If the etch has only Philips mentioned and no Westinghouse, then it's either made in 1986, or 1987.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 11:04:35 AM by BT25 » Logged

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies