Author Topic: My hometown still lit with M400s above traffic intersections  (Read 722 times)
davidnonledfan

View Posts
View Gallery

My hometown still lit with M400s above traffic intersections « on: June 09, 2022, 01:31:39 PM » Author: davidnonledfan
I used to originally live in Roseville CA up until late October 2020, I have noticed that in Late 2019 and early 2020 when my city was LEDizing :eoled: on the main roadways to LED. I moved from Roseville to Naples FL in 1st of November 2020. I remembered that there were still lots and lots of traffic intersections that were still HPS above the traffic lights in Roseville, 95% of HPS were GE M400s, and there were actually a few M400A1 Powr/Door shark-head looking luminaires I have seen, also a few different looking HPS fixtures that are still there as of March/April 2022 Google street images.

Goes to show that HPS lighting is very reliable and it will always be an amazing light source alongside it's older brother MV  :mv:! LONG LIVE  HPS :hps: :hps: :hps: :hps:!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not sure about the neighborhoods if some are still lit with HPS or possibly maybe all have been LEDized but I am going to get some answers later on from one of my family members and I will update this page once I get the answers.

Anyways, here are some pictures of the HPS above the traffic signal lights used in my hometown:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 01:39:15 PM by davidnonledfan » Logged

20 years old and I love old phones and lighting. I love filament/ incandescent shaped LEDs and regular LED tube LEDs on a magnetic ballast. I don't do well with the all in one integrated world. Catch me eventually using T17 lighting at my own place

davidnonledfan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: My hometown still lit with M400s above traffic intersections « Reply #1 on: June 09, 2022, 01:43:56 PM » Author: davidnonledfan
From the looks from the Google maps images updated this year a few months ago, 99% of these existing fixtures I have seen seem to HAVE NOT been LEDized above the traffic lights. All of the ones I remember seem to be there even with the LEDizing around the town.

20 years old and I love old phones and lighting. I love filament/ incandescent shaped LEDs and regular LED tube LEDs on a magnetic ballast. I don't do well with the all in one integrated world. Catch me eventually using T17 lighting at my own place

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: My hometown still lit with M400s above traffic intersections « Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 02:52:51 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, HPS on signal poles is a common sight in my area too. Over here it's because streetlighting on signal poles were typically owned by the province (MTO) or regional municipality. Individual streetlight poles were typically owned by the local municipality.

They're slowly LEDizing the signal poles as intersections get rebuilt every year with new poles and 12-12-12 signals instead of the old 12-8-8 signals. Although my regional municipality is strange in that they sometimes still install HPS luminaires.
davidnonledfan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: My hometown still lit with M400s above traffic intersections « Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 03:21:47 PM » Author: davidnonledfan
Yeah and if this helps, Roseville has it's own electricity grid (not run on PG&E power). I think they are keeping the HPS as like a backup like a caution yellow effect probably like you said. The only signal poles that are being upgraded or installed with LED are the ones that are new construction, and intesections having roadwork by adding more lanes such as the expansion of the intersection. But yet again, the existing roads with no road expansions are still illuminated on the signal poles with M400s. 99% of the signal poles that I have seen last time when I was living there 2 years ago are still there according to the Google Maps images of March-April 2022. I know that those fixtures are about 20+ years old with the M400A1 Powr/Door fixtures for sure being more, and I wouldn't be surprised if most of those fixtures still have original never replaced lamps in them with how reliable they are.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 03:33:33 PM by davidnonledfan » Logged

davidnonledfan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: My hometown still lit with M400s above traffic intersections « Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 03:46:16 PM » Author: davidnonledfan
@rlshieldjr told me a while back about some GE HPS lamps that were 30+ years old and were working fine but unfortunately they got LEDized.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies