Author Topic: August 2023 Incandescent Ban Questions  (Read 1684 times)
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
August 2023 Incandescent Ban Questions « on: August 03, 2023, 12:58:03 PM » Author: CEB1993
Hello all, I have a lot of questions about the latest incandescent ban that took place August 1.

1. I know some of the current exceptions to the ban are yellow bug lights, A15 appliance lamps for ovens, and C7 night light bulbs. Am I missing anything?

2. I’ve heard the latest lamp ban disqualifies all lamps with efficacy below 40 Lumens per watt. Is this accurate?

3. Will eBay and Habitat ReStores have to comply and stop selling incandescents?

4. Will automotive stores such as Auto Zone still be able to sell low voltage incandescent bulbs for vehicle use?

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: August 2023 Incandescent Ban Questions « Reply #1 on: August 03, 2023, 02:19:31 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
From what I understand, secondhand sales are NOT affected by the ban. I think it only applies to when lamps are first put on the market.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: August 2023 Incandescent Ban Questions « Reply #2 on: August 03, 2023, 05:02:41 PM » Author: Rommie
I apologise if I sound like I'm getting fed up, but I've said this before on I don't know how many topics all on the same subject. As I understand it, bans apply to putting newly manufactured lamps onto the market. Once said lamps are on shelves in stores or warehouses, they are already on the market and I cannot see any reason why they cannot be sold.

There will be plenty of lamps around for a long time to come, they are still available here several years after they were 'banned' so I doubt they are going to vanish overnight.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Lcubed3

View Posts
View Gallery

MAXIMUM LUMENS!!!

Re: August 2023 Incandescent Ban Questions « Reply #3 on: August 03, 2023, 09:04:00 PM » Author: Lcubed3
From what I understand, second hand lamps ARE affected by the ban.

1st question: Exemptions. The exemptions are as follows:
Lamps that have an initial lumen output of less than 310 lumens and more than 3,300 lumens
Lamps that do not operate at 12 or 24 volts, 100-130 volts, 220-240 volts, or 277 volts for integrated lamps
Appliance lamps
Black light lamps
Bug lamps
Silver bowl lamps
Colored lamps
G shape lamps with a diameter of 5 inches or more
General service fluorescent lamps
Sign service lamps
High intensity discharge lamps
Infrared lamps
J, JC, JCD, JCS, JCV, JCX, JD, JS, and JT shape lamps that do not have Edison screw bases
Showcase lamps
Lamps that have a wedge base or prefocus base
Left-hand thread lamps
Marine lamps
Specialty MR lamps
Marine signal service lamps
Mine service lamps
Plant light lamps
Traffic signal lamps
Other fluorescent lamps R20 short lamps
MR shape lamps that:
        have a first number symbol equal to 16 (diameter equal to 2 inches) as defined in ANSI C79.1– 2002
        operate at 12 volts, and
        have a lumen output greater than or equal to 800
Reflector lamps that have a first number symbol less than 16 (diameter less than 2 inches) as defined in ANSIC79.1–2002, and that do not have E26/E24, E26d, E26/50x39, E26/53x39, E29/2 S shape or G shape lamps that have a first number symbol less than or equal to 12.5 (diameter less than or equal to 1.5625 inches) as defined in ANSI C79.1-2002
T-shape lamps that have a first number symbol less than or equal to 8 (diameter less than or equal to 1 inch), nominal overall length less than 12 inches, and that are not compact fluorescent lamps

2nd question: No.
3rd question: I don't know. We'll have to see. I would guess probably, though.
4th question: Maybe. We'll have to see.

Portland General Electric: 120/240VAC @ 60Hz
Bringer of Light

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: August 2023 Incandescent Ban Questions « Reply #4 on: August 03, 2023, 09:34:10 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Here is what James says about the secondhand sale of incandescent lamps:

“ The sales restrictions on incandescent lamps cover only the act of "Placing on the Market". That is restricted exclusively to a manufacturer selling a product to the first point of the supply chain, or an importer bringing the product into the country. There are no restrictions on the resale of products that have already been placed on the market. There is a lot of inaccurate news on this subject.”

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: August 2023 Incandescent Ban Questions « Reply #5 on: August 04, 2023, 09:16:04 AM » Author: Rommie
That's how I understand it as well, and that certainly applies here. If some parts of the US have enacted legislation that says otherwise, then they are out of order, as are stores that remove lamps from sale when there is no need to do so  >:(

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: August 2023 Incandescent Ban Questions « Reply #6 on: August 04, 2023, 02:02:56 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
It would seem to me that a lot of retailers have jumped to the same conclusions of what the bans entail that a few of the members on here have.  :wndr: :sadbulb:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: August 2023 Incandescent Ban Questions « Reply #7 on: August 04, 2023, 09:50:20 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 Regarding question #4 . Since a vast majority of LED automotive lamps say either "For Off Road Use Only" or something to a similar effect right on the package , I'd say no !   

As far as I know none of the automotive LEDs are street legal .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: August 2023 Incandescent Ban Questions « Reply #8 on: August 05, 2023, 09:25:24 AM » Author: Rommie
An automotive lamp for off road use. Hmmm, how does that work, then..?  ::)

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: August 2023 Incandescent Ban Questions « Reply #9 on: August 05, 2023, 01:36:51 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 Vehicles that aren't used on public roads . I.E.  show cars , tractors , ATVs , etc.

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies