Author Topic: The unknown Sunrise CFL  (Read 1765 times)
N3210

View Posts
View Gallery

lightbulb

UCo_R9kHfa7voRrydT2NJYnw tomloveslighting
The unknown Sunrise CFL « on: June 05, 2022, 12:04:27 AM » Author: N3210
(Even though I already made a gallery post of this) Found in grandparent's garage. Very  :cfl1:  if you ask me.
I believe this takes E26 socket. I also think it must be a preheat as I've seen preheat CFLs with a base as big as that compared with my similar IKEA CFL. If any info is needed to identify this, FCCID NOCDE-28, UL E178594, 120V 60hz, DE-20/L/2700K.

Sorts scared on powering this up, I think it's a rarity like my 5000K Helical (You've seen it!) and I don't want to damage rarities

Lighting enthusiast from San Francisco.

I upload plenty to here, YouTube, and Instagram

!! If I am quiet here, check either my Instagram or my YouTube !!

N3210

View Posts
View Gallery

lightbulb

Re: The unknown Sunrise CFL « Reply #1 on: June 05, 2022, 02:22:22 AM » Author: N3210
Turning it on, it's not all blink-happy as I expected.  >:(
And apparently the PL-T sockets are proprietary for some reason.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: The unknown Sunrise CFL « Reply #2 on: June 05, 2022, 09:52:09 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Personally, I don't understand why some people are fascinated with lamps being 'blink happy'  ???

The lamp hasn't started properly, so keeps on trying until it does, so it's far from 'happy'  :(

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: The unknown Sunrise CFL « Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 04:15:09 AM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
It has something to do with the variety of start-ups. Not instant like an incandescent, not slow & even like a SOX or HID. Almost every time you flip the switch, a different amount of blinks occur for a different duration. Then there's the quiet, gentle ping with every blink. That's very satisfying to a lot of people. :)
The scene of a large room full of preheat, 'blink-happy' fluros firing up is also a satisfying scene to some. There's something old-school about it. An imperfect preheat. Not without flaw, but a preheat nonetheless :a_starter: :a_fluor:
Scenes like this make my point and are the reason I like preheats :)
N3210

View Posts
View Gallery

lightbulb

Re: The unknown Sunrise CFL « Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022, 05:02:36 AM » Author: N3210
I like the blink-happy startups, it brings a great degree of joy :angel: 
I have two blink-happy? fixtures (on my YouTube page, which are F8T5 aquarium light, and some kind of UV PL-S fixture.
I also like the delayed startups of some CFLs I own, or "preheating" where I can see the light travel from one end of the tube to the other (Seen with my IKEA megaman, Helicals, FEIT Electric and SSE-20, also on my YT page)

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: The unknown Sunrise CFL « Reply #5 on: June 06, 2022, 11:33:27 AM » Author: Rommie
The way I look at it is simple. I switch on the light, I expect it to come on. The longer it's 'blinking' the longer it takes to get the light I want. Plus the emitter is being sputtered from the cathodes and shortening the lamp life.

So 'blink' is far from happy around here. If you don't care about lamp life, fine, but given these lamps are no longer being made for the most part, I want them to last as long as possible.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: The unknown Sunrise CFL « Reply #6 on: June 06, 2022, 12:06:28 PM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
An excellent point,  but one of my 4ft T8 battens is an exception to your theory. The cover plate was so rusted it looked like a piece of wood. Under the bonnet is a very grumpy old magnetic ballast that makes a racket until the lamp strikes, which it never does first time. It was installed in my house by the previous homeowner (my best guess is around '95-2000). We have NEVER changed the lamp in it. It is still on the lamp it was using when my parents bought our house, over 20 years ago. It is running right now next to me, giving off a nice 50 Hz hum. Blinking preheats may shorten the lamp life, but my fixture + lamp don't seem to care.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: The unknown Sunrise CFL « Reply #7 on: June 06, 2022, 12:25:27 PM » Author: Rommie
Well that's fine, and may it last another 20 years  8)

But personally, I don't do anything deliberately that may shorten lamp life. It's also why I never do hot restrikes, despite a certain member here who seems to love them  :mrg:

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: The unknown Sunrise CFL « Reply #8 on: June 07, 2022, 01:59:01 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Although I grew up with switch start fluorescent, I have to agree I prefer the controlled pre-heat of the cathodes on electronic start circuits, I get SS totally, it was an easy fuss free way of starting tubes for years, but a strain on BOTH cathode and choke!
Fitting electronic timed pre-heat starters to standard choke circuits gives the tubes a gentle and quicker start prolonging the life of both tube and gear.

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: The unknown Sunrise CFL « Reply #9 on: June 07, 2022, 06:02:59 AM » Author: Rommie
The best way to start a 'pre-heat' tube is manually. Impractical for most installations, I agree, but it's fun  ;D

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: The unknown Sunrise CFL « Reply #10 on: June 07, 2022, 01:53:59 PM » Author: joseph_125
Manual preheat might be to only way for someone to get a F90T17 tube running now. The ballasts are still available NOS on eBay but the starter sockets and the lampholders are next to impossible to find. If I ever found some T17 tubes I'll probably end up wiring it for manual preheat since I already have the lampholders.

The starter sockets I believe are identical to the old British 4-pin starter sockets.
N3210

View Posts
View Gallery

lightbulb

Re: The unknown Sunrise CFL « Reply #11 on: June 07, 2022, 03:45:53 PM » Author: N3210
The best way to start a 'pre-heat' tube is manually. Impractical for most installations, I agree, but it's fun  ;D
Hey, manual preheat reminds me of those drawing tables my art teacher has! (Videos on my youtube)

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: The unknown Sunrise CFL « Reply #12 on: June 07, 2022, 08:08:56 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah manual preheat was common in fixtures such as light tables, desk lamps, and old under cabinet fixtures.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies