Author Topic: Microsoft is shutting down Internet Explorer?  (Read 2739 times)
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Microsoft is shutting down Internet Explorer? « on: June 14, 2022, 09:29:30 PM » Author: Burrito
So i recently found out that Microsoft is ending support for Internet Explorer. I find that pretty interesting

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Microsoft is shutting down Internet Explorer? « Reply #1 on: June 15, 2022, 07:39:50 AM » Author: rjluna2
They are not shutting down IE, they just stop supporting IE.  You can still browse using the IE at your own risk.

Our corporate still have their application programs that still needs IE11 browser to make it work, otherwise it will not work on the newer browser.

Remember, Windows 11 will not have the IE on it.  Windows 10 is the last version that still has IE browser.

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Microsoft is shutting down Internet Explorer? « Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 08:22:09 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I think that it's a bad website design if it limits you to which browser you can use.  >:(

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Microsoft is shutting down Internet Explorer? « Reply #3 on: June 15, 2022, 09:04:48 AM » Author: rjluna2
Here is the problem with corporate's web based services, Sammi.  Some non-profit/government commerce cannot afford to upgrade the services to support the client end new browser especially with very complicated html markup interface.  Believe me, I do know because I work with the IT Help Desk department.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Microsoft is shutting down Internet Explorer? « Reply #4 on: June 15, 2022, 11:24:33 AM » Author: dor123
Our corporate still have their application programs that still needs IE11 browser to make it work, otherwise it will not work on the newer browser.
And I thought this would only occurs in Israel...

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Microsoft is shutting down Internet Explorer? « Reply #5 on: June 15, 2022, 06:09:13 PM » Author: marcopete87
I know and, as done with flash, IE11 will be removed automatically with windows update.
Now, i cannot update 200+ pc because we have ActiveX based HMI (last version bought in 2018 for something like 80.000€), which is supported only by IE...
Mobile version lack a lot of functions (like scripts and tooltips used by electrical maintenance) and rewrite all pages for all machines (with other HMI software) require a lot of time (and a lot of tests).

:curse: :curse: :curse:
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Microsoft is shutting down Internet Explorer? « Reply #6 on: June 15, 2022, 06:16:47 PM » Author: Rommie
After I had my heart attack in March, they offered me a video consultation with a cardiac nurse instead of attending a clinic, due to Covid.

This would be all very well, but (a) the main computer that I use does not have a camera or a microphone, but in any case, for some reason (b) their system is only compatible with Google Chrome or Safari (which I believe is for the Mac range). I have neither, we run Linux with Firefox, so what are people supposed to do in these circumstances..? As it was, we managed to hook up with the good old fashioned telephone (remember those..?!)

As for Interturd Explorer, good riddance to it, it was rubbish even when I did use Windoze. The latest offering (Edge, I think it's called) is even worse, makes me glad I don't have to use M$ stuff any more.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 06:19:40 PM by Rommie » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Microsoft is shutting down Internet Explorer? « Reply #7 on: June 15, 2022, 06:31:06 PM » Author: Patrick
I've heard IE mode for Edge remains and will allow for old pages which only work in Internet Explorer.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Microsoft is shutting down Internet Explorer? « Reply #8 on: June 15, 2022, 06:45:04 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
And this is why we're devotees of Linux... :mrg:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Microsoft is shutting down Internet Explorer? « Reply #9 on: June 15, 2022, 09:05:42 PM » Author: joseph_125
To be honest, I'm still surprised that there are still corporate intranet sites that require the use of IE. I remember even more than a decade ago people were complaining about these sort of sites only working with IE so you would have thought they would have fixed the problem by now.

I'm not a fan of sites using proprietary features that only work on certain browsers anyway. Worst are the ones that don't even use these proprietary features but reject other browsers based off the user agent. Well at least with those you can spoof your user agent on some browsers with a extension and it'll let you use it.

As for me, I haven't used IE for over 15 years now. I switched to Firefox early on and I never really liked Chrome. Although I'm considering switching to one of the forks of Firefox as I don't like how the newer versions force UI changes on you "to improve the user experience" whatever that means.  ::)
Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Microsoft is shutting down Internet Explorer? « Reply #10 on: June 15, 2022, 10:37:09 PM » Author: Foxtronix
Firefox team reporting in!  ;D

There was that meme somewhere on the interwebz joking about how websites worked fine on all browsers... except IE.

I still remember when I was tinkering with xHTML a while back, IE was indeed the difficult one to deal with.

Had I known it was completely deactivated today, I would've browsed a little bit on it for one last time LOL. That's no surprise, but why not just, y'know, leave it as is? I would bet that "IE mode" thingy on Edge is going to be just as reliable as IE itself was. But since I left the IE bandwagon (well, more like the IE trainwreck amirite? xD) in 2006-07, this is far from being one of my priorities!

BTW I just read in some news article how IE is often described as "the best browser for downloading other browsers". Can't argue with that! :lol:

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Microsoft is shutting down Internet Explorer? « Reply #11 on: June 16, 2022, 07:25:46 AM » Author: rjluna2

:lol:

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Microsoft is shutting down Internet Explorer? « Reply #12 on: June 16, 2022, 07:33:06 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann

sudo install mouse cursor
-if install failed
sudo install mouse cursor v2
-if install failed
sudo install the :curse: mouse cursor
-if install failed
sudo just swallow your tongue  >:(
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 08:51:37 AM by Rommie » Logged

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Microsoft is shutting down Internet Explorer? « Reply #13 on: June 16, 2022, 08:50:30 AM » Author: Rommie
Never use sudo, I won't have it on my system. Letting people run root commands without the root password isn't going to happen. Yes, it can mean more work sometimes, but we only have a small network and it's a price I'm willing to pay.

@ Roi_hartmann - please don't attempt to defeat the swear filter like this, it's there for a reason. Post edited.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Microsoft is shutting down Internet Explorer? « Reply #14 on: June 16, 2022, 09:51:22 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Yes but obviously running commands as root is usually necessary when you are doing any sort of deeper adjusting on maintenance in linux. Some time ago, I had to figure out how to enable remote desktop for existing session for lubuntu and that went like vast majority of my other linux things: nothing works out of box and 95% of tutorials found on the internet wont work anymore. In the end I was able to get it working but only after switching to Ubuntu which is currently way too resource heavy.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies