Author Topic: Lamp of the Month  (Read 263 times)
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

(Gallery Open)

Lamp of the Month « on: June 19, 2022, 05:52:32 PM » Author: Econolite03
Awhile back, there was a thread regarding the lack of lamp variety here, such as too much emphasis on vintage HID. This issue has also been affecting fixtures, it’s always the same boring 115 or something like that. What If there was a way to bring more attention to “underrated” lamps (like incandescents) or fixtures (like HPS adapters)?

My idea: “Lamp of the Month”. It wound be like our member spotlight, but dedicated to highlighting different technologies and would rotate monthly. For example, February would be fluorescents. Now the way it would be coded would be tricky, but maybe if members put “fluorescent” as lamp type in the lamp description, the site could place the photo in the series automatically.

I’m not a coder but it’s just a idea.
LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the SOX!

Re: Lamp of the Month « Reply #1 on: June 19, 2022, 06:57:31 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
I second this idea, especially with fixtures. I was thinking a specific company for one month, and a model made by that same company for each week of that month. For example, the fixture company of the month would be Wide-Lite, and then each week would feature a different model made by them; F Series one week, Supra-Lyte the next week, etc.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Lamp of the Month « Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 08:04:08 PM » Author: Rommie
Interesting, might be worth looking into  :wndr:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end :love:

Administrator, UK and European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch
:love:

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Lamp of the Month « Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 10:45:14 AM » Author: AgentHalogen_87

I’m not a coder but it’s just a idea.
And a very good idea at that :)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Lamp of the Month « Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 10:46:20 AM » Author: Rommie
Patrick is going to love you, that's another item on his 'to do' list, which is already as long as several arms  :mrg:

It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end :love:

Administrator, UK and European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Lamp of the Month « Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 10:51:08 AM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
If I knew code, I'd volunteer to help :-\
Well, technically I do, but I don't think Morse code will help much :mrg:
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Lamp of the Month « Reply #6 on: June 21, 2022, 10:57:19 AM » Author: Rommie
Probably not  :mrg:

--... ...-- / -.. . / --. -- -.... ..- .-. .--.

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Lamp of the Month « Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 11:20:20 AM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
-.-. --- .-. -.-- // --- ...- . .-. / .- -. -.. / --- ..- - //
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS & Preheat Fluorescent Fenatic!

Re: Lamp of the Month « Reply #8 on: June 22, 2022, 11:22:20 PM » Author: 108CAM
It could be done in a way that makes use of the existing file rating system with the highest rated files for each lamp type being the lamp of the month. The winning photos would be showcased in a section of the gallery page and rotate on a monthly cycle.

Fluro starter chimes combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 11
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 9
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 2

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Lamp of the Month « Reply #9 on: June 23, 2022, 05:58:34 AM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
Not many people use the rate system, so the same images would be displayed each time around.
Alex

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lamp of the Month « Reply #10 on: June 23, 2022, 10:02:22 AM » Author: Alex
Hello,
I don't know but that might be an idea. You set for every 12 months a lamp category: MH, Sodium, SOX etc. Then members have the possibility to share pictures to this lamp in the 25 daysof the month. In the last days of the month then a picture from this pool is voted for to become the lamp of the month. Theirby every member has one vote. The downside of this idea is however that it is rather complicated...

Best regards,

Alex

Lamp and Valve collector

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Lamp of the Month « Reply #11 on: June 23, 2022, 10:09:12 AM » Author: Rommie
It's an interesting idea, but it does sound complex to put into practice. As has been said, the ratings system is little used and many members disable it on their albums, so that's not really worth considering.

As I said, I'm not a coder, but Patrick will no doubt have an input on the topic  :mrg:

Print 
© 2005-2022 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies