Author Topic: Blinkiest lamp and starter combination  (Read 622 times)
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Blinkiest lamp and starter combination « on: June 24, 2022, 07:57:25 AM » Author: HIDLad001
Hi, I am interested in building a preheat F8T5 striplight. I want it to be as blinky as possible. I am guessing that the amount the bulb blinks is dependent on the brand of bulb used and the starter. Do you have any recommendations for specific bulbs and starters?

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Blinkiest lamp and starter combination « Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 10:35:04 AM » Author: Rommie
Sorry, fluorescents aren't really my subject, but I feel I should point out that when a tube blinks excessively on startup, that is the emitter sputtering from the cathodes and the life of the lamp can be shortened drastically as a result every time it happens. Some people use the term 'blink happy' but to me, the lamp is anything but happy..!

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: Blinkiest lamp and starter combination « Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 05:26:22 PM » Author: HIDLad001
I knew that, but it is always nice to have people point things out to me that I didn't think of at the time.  :veolfl:

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Blinkiest lamp and starter combination « Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 08:01:09 PM » Author: 108CAM
The green coloured Osram starters are rather blink happy.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Blinkiest lamp and starter combination « Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 03:01:26 AM » Author: AngryHorse
The 8 watt T5 is probably THE WORST type of fluorescent you could build something like that with sadly, I had 12 of them under my kitchen units,  they never got starter changes because 80% of the time the circuits never even used the starter to fire up!
Most would instant start, or start like they were on the old SRS circuits!, even in the middle of winter when the kitchen was coldest, the ones that would blink would only do it a couple of times.
It’s a cool idea, but I reckon you would get better results using something like a 5 foot?  8)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies