Author Topic: Mercury vapor lamp strobing during a hot restrike  (Read 1042 times)
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Mercury vapor lamp strobing during a hot restrike « on: July 06, 2023, 02:48:49 PM » Author: HIDLad001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVI5PN1Cxm4

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Mercury vapor lamp strobing during a hot restrike « Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 04:06:05 PM » Author: dor123
I've never seen a MV lamp strobe at a fixed rate. My SBMV lamps sometimes strobes during a hot restrike, but randomly.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury vapor lamp strobing during a hot restrike « Reply #2 on: July 07, 2023, 01:35:17 AM » Author: Medved
If it is on a CWA, what may have happened:
The starting discharge probe became effectively a rectifier, so passing current only in one direction. It could be caused by the material difference (the main electrode has a coat with low energy barrier to leave electrons free, the probe does not could be one mechanism)
It is then slowly charging the series capacitor in the ballast.
The arctube temperature/pressure seems to be just so it is not able to hold the arc across the main electrodes, but when nearly doubled by the rectification, it is able to break down across the main electrodes so cause the flash.
This flash then discharge the capacitor, so the voltage becomes too low again, until the capacitor gets charged again.
This cycle then repeats and the lam is flashing until it cools down enough so the ballast OCV without the addition of the charged capacitor becomes enough to sustain the arc and the lamp lights up normally again.

For this to happen, few things have to align (the way the stsrting discharge rectifies, the polarity sensitivity of the main arc,...), so it happens only sometimes.

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies