Author Topic: Has anyone lost any lamps and ballasts to power surges?  (Read 564 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Has anyone lost any lamps and ballasts to power surges? « on: June 22, 2022, 11:51:34 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
In my experience, I have not had any lamps and ballasts getting destroyed by power surges. Did anyone have a light bulb and/or ballast get destroyed as a result of a power surge?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Has anyone lost any lamps and ballasts to power surges? « Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 12:33:27 PM » Author: Medved
Only in the car, when the alternator regulator failed into short circuit, so kept the excitation connected without any control. The consequence was one headlamp blown immediately, the other and tail lights after short while.

No more selfballasted c***

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Has anyone lost any lamps and ballasts to power surges? « Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022, 07:42:14 PM » Author: 108CAM
THe closest I've come to this was when I tested an 80w MV ballast that had developed a major short in the windings. Despite the fireworks and frying a power strip, the 80w MV lamp somehow survived the carnage and still works perfectly. I also tripped the breaker, much to the dismay of my family

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies