Author Topic: Help with identifying a lamp  (Read 780 times)
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Help with identifying a lamp « on: July 28, 2022, 06:07:48 AM » Author: 108CAM
I have this lamp that I can't identify because the etch has wiped off. I know it's likely a 400w lamp judging by the size of the glass envelope but what I don't know is if it's a clear MV lamp or a MH lamp. Any help in identifying this lamp would be greatly appreciated.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Help with identifying a lamp « Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 07:58:23 AM » Author: Medved
I see no starting electrode and an insulation sleeve around the support wire along the tube. Both are signatures of a (pulse start) MH lamp. No starting probe because these use HV pulses for ignition and the sleeve is intended to positively charge on its surface (by photo electron emission) and so form a field repelling (or prevent attracting them) Na+ ions from the arctube wall.
MV's are all started by a starting probe (except the Iwasaki/Eye MoonPulse MH retrofit lamp) and do not need that sleeve (Hg is inert towards the quartz, Na is very reactive with it when not bound to some halogen or so), HPS use ceramic arctube (Na is highly reactive with quartz and/or most glasses, forms brown opaque staining and makes them to loose strength).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 08:01:30 AM by Medved » Logged

No more selfballasted c***

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Help with identifying a lamp « Reply #2 on: July 30, 2022, 04:27:27 AM » Author: 108CAM
Next step is to determine the burn position.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Help with identifying a lamp « Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 10:21:56 PM » Author: BT25
This lamp has the white enamel at both ends...usually that means universal burn position.

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account/CC statement shows unnecessary spending? ::)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies