Author Topic: Why were mercury free HPS lamps uncommon?  (Read 993 times)
HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Why were mercury free HPS lamps uncommon? « on: July 28, 2022, 10:50:55 AM » Author: HPS_250
I was wondering why mercury free HPS lamps were so much less common than “standard” lamps. If mercury free HPS production expanded, it might have discouraged some LED conversions, as they are actually more efficient than standard HPS and don’t contain anything highly toxic. Still, I think LED would have continued to take over unfortunately at some point, but I’m still interested.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Why were mercury free HPS lamps uncommon? « Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 12:58:11 PM » Author: dor123
In the US and Canada, they were uncommon. In Europe they were common.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why were mercury free HPS lamps uncommon? « Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 11:52:34 PM » Author: Medved
The "mercury free HPS" could be called a scam to some extend. The problem is, they perform way worse in many ways, mainly are less efficient. This lower efficacy means, to power that extra power you need, with the energy sources used for the electricity generation, you release way more mercury (from its trace content in the fuels, mainly coal) i to the environment than over the life cycle of the more efficient "tradditional" ones. Assume a reasonable waste management of the spent lamps (with extraction and reuse of the amalgam material - not that difficult to clean the mercury up for reuse in new lamps), of course, not them just being dumped into the landfill.

No more selfballasted c***

Max

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why were mercury free HPS lamps uncommon? « Reply #3 on: July 30, 2022, 06:31:57 AM » Author: Max
The "mercury free HPS" could be called a scam to some extend. The problem is, they perform way worse in many ways, mainly are less efficient.
Calling Hg-free HPS lamps a "scam" is a gross exaggeration stemming from ignorance. They were in fact more efficient than standard HPS lamps (140 lm/W vs. 123 lm/W, 400 W lamps) and lasted quite longer too (38 vs 28 kh to 50 % failure, 400 W lamps). However, it is correct that mercury free lamps did have lower performances than those of mercury-filled "plus" or "super" HPS lamps, but the difference was not that significant (141.5 vs. 140 lm/W, 400 W lamps). That's for state-of-the-art "Plus APIA" lamps, but compared to conventional "Plus PIA" Hg-filled lamps, the Hg-free variants outperformed them (140 vs 137 lm/W, 400 W lamps). The same goes for the service life, the Hg-free variant lasted longer than the conventional "Plus PIA" Hg-filled lamps (38 vs 36 kh, 400 W lamps) but not as long as the state-of-the-art "Plus APIA" (45 kh). All data given here are from Philips, 2014 (since they ended the production of Hg-free lamps in 2015).

Also, on the aspect of light output and power consumption, your reasoning does not apply to the reality of how Hg-free lamps were used, lighting installations were not designed around mercury-free HPS lamps. Those lamps were in fact used to retrofit existing installations, so their usage did not result in any increase of the power consumption, only the resulting light level changed (increased or decreased depending on what lamp type was used before). As far as recycling is concerned, in an ideal world we should indeed collect all spent lamps to prevent the release of their toxic materials, but we are not living in an ideal world and a significant fraction of lamps still end up in landfills.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 06:35:55 AM by Max » Logged
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Why were mercury free HPS lamps uncommon? « Reply #4 on: July 30, 2022, 06:37:55 AM » Author: Rommie
In the US and Canada, they were uncommon. In Europe they were common.
Your evidence for this sweeping statement, please..?

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Why were mercury free HPS lamps uncommon? « Reply #5 on: July 30, 2022, 07:00:25 AM » Author: dor123
Most mercury free HPS lamps, were made by European manufacturers. American manufacturers almost didn't made these lamps except Osram Sylvania.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Max

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why were mercury free HPS lamps uncommon? « Reply #6 on: July 30, 2022, 07:58:01 AM » Author: Max
That's no evidence, it's only a assumption. If we go by your way of reasoning, then lamps are common in China but not in the rest of the world because most of them are made in China?
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Why were mercury free HPS lamps uncommon? « Reply #7 on: July 30, 2022, 08:56:47 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Exactly Max, the world thrives on the import and export of manufactured goods.
Unfortunately the days of making goods for the home market is not the normal practice any more.  :curse:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies