Author Topic: 175 watt mercury vapor socket question  (Read 2114 times)
tmcdllr

View Posts
View Gallery

175 watt mercury vapor socket question « on: January 27, 2010, 09:44:29 AM » Author: tmcdllr
Does the socket for this lamp need to be 4KV pulse rated or can I just use a standard ceramic or porcelain socket? I am going to use a 175 watt MV R40 in a standard floodlight lampholder that already has a ceramic socket (connected to the right ballast of course) and I was just wondering if I need to replace this socket or not. If it was HPS or MH I know I would have to use a 4KV socket but I don't think I need one with MV, right?

Nothing like the beautiful cool white light of a coated Mercury Vapor lamp and the soothing hum of it's magnetic ballast.

Xytrell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 175 watt mercury vapor socket question « Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 11:21:24 AM » Author: Xytrell
MV don't use a starting pulse so any conventional socket will be fine as long as the wattage ratings are observed.
tmcdllr

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 175 watt mercury vapor socket question « Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 02:00:05 AM » Author: tmcdllr
That's what I thought but I wanted to be sure, thank you.

Nothing like the beautiful cool white light of a coated Mercury Vapor lamp and the soothing hum of it's magnetic ballast.

Lumalux

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex's World of Christmas Lights!

Re: 175 watt mercury vapor socket question « Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 01:10:26 PM » Author: Lumalux
I did something foolish once.  I created a remote ballast setup by taking a 50W MV wall pack fixture and wired a two-pronged cord and connector to the ballast so that I could plug any table lamp into it and use the regular MV bulb in the lamp socket.

The cord to the lamp was 18AWG SPT-1 zip cord.

Was that dangerous to do?

It was way kewl to have a mercury vapor banker's lamp on my desk but a little bright and the UV light was intense.

Alex
Xytrell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 175 watt mercury vapor socket question « Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 04:03:36 PM » Author: Xytrell
18SPT-1 is rated for 5A 250V. I wouldn't recommend having hundreds of feet between it and the ballast, but it's safe as far as I can tell. I do something similar, but I try to limit the distance. I would say mind the socket wattages, but anything too high is mogul anyway.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies