Author Topic: Noisy North American PL-S/PL-C preheat CFL choke ballasts Why?  (Read 626 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Noisy North American PL-S/PL-C preheat CFL choke ballasts Why? « on: August 23, 2022, 01:29:21 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
In my experience of observing and collecting lighting, I have noticed that North American preheat CFL series choke ballasts intended for low wattage PL-S and PL-C CFL lamps tend to have a noticeable hum conpared to other types of preheat fluorescent tube ballasts. Why is this so?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Noisy North American PL-S/PL-C preheat CFL choke ballasts Why? « Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 02:46:49 AM » Author: Medved
Could be an intention to get as much efficiency with as low $$ as possible (or just the later). Combined with the better processing control of the magnetic materials and their assembly, it made the ballast designs to drive the cores closer to saturation, as that means less turns of wire and/or a smaller core size. That allows either to get lower losses for the same cost, or lower cost (less materials, like the expensive copper) for the same losses, or any compromise between.
And closer to saturation both magnetostriction becomes stronger so cause stronger vibration, as well as fields leaving the ballast and affecting the nearby steel structures, causing extra vibration there as well, which is then the drawback of these more optimized designs.

No more selfballasted c***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Noisy North American PL-S/PL-C preheat CFL choke ballasts Why? « Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 04:30:00 AM » Author: dor123
It is also possible that the fact that 120V series chokes, consumes much more current than the 230V series chokes, because of the low mains voltage. This combined with their design with exposed winding and core, compared to the sealed design of the 220-240V chokes.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 05:47:03 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies