Author Topic: Tungsram Update  (Read 949 times)
James

View Posts
View Gallery

Tungsram Update « on: August 10, 2022, 04:04:46 PM » Author: James
This week was the important negotiation between Tungsram and its creditors, following its recent application for bankruptcy protection.  Although 58% of Tungsram's 850 suppliers/creditors voted to help the company through this difficult period, the main bank did not agree.  Therefore the company is not yet safe.  Another meeting will happen in October to decide its fate.  However, as part of the restructuring plans to satisfy the creditors, it was already announced that the Tungsram would terminate the manufacturing of traditional light sources with the loss of 1800 employees, about half.  It is sad that this has now taken place for the discharge lamps - production did not re-start following the annual summer shutdown period which was unusually brought forward this year since there was not enough cash to pay the workers, who have now lost their jobs.  Rapidly rising energy costs made re-starting of that division financially impossible.  Therefore the Tungsram-made HID lamps that are now on the market are the last that there will ever be.  I wonder if any of our American colleagues know how this affects the small range of GE-branded lamps still available in Americas, since of course very many of GE's professional lamps were made for them by Tungsram.

Looking to the future, if it survives the October meeting, the plan is that Tungsram would develop into a kind of holding company to manage the brand.  The profitable business units would be sold off to new investors to manage those divisions independently, but still under the Tungsram name.  It seems as though there may be interested parties to buy the huge Budapest and Nagykanizsa factories, to continue the LED product assembly at those sites.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Tungsram Update « Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 11:37:14 PM » Author: joseph_125
Thanks for the update. It's a shame that they're discontinuing production of conventional HID sources during this. As you mentioned, a lot of GE's HID products are sourced from them. I also wonder what will become of the A15 incandescent lamps too. As far as I know a lot of North American brands seem to source them from Tungsram.   
fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Tungsram Update « Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 11:42:30 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
That's unfortunate. What about the plug-in CFLs that are made there? Are any linear fluorescents still made there?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 11:47:53 PM by fluorescent lover 40 » Logged
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Tungsram Update « Reply #3 on: August 11, 2022, 02:14:17 AM » Author: 108CAM
Thankfully I have 3 Tungsram 50w MV lamps in my collection. All 3 work perfectly.
I'll have to dig through my lamp containers to see if I have any more Tungsram branded HID lamps.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Tungsram Update « Reply #4 on: August 11, 2022, 08:13:17 AM » Author: sol
That is sad news. I have some GE branded F15 Tungsrams in my living room and they have been on evening duty almost every night and on morning duty for most months since 2011 and still going strong. They made very good lamps.
Beta 5

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Tungsram Update « Reply #5 on: August 11, 2022, 10:26:21 AM » Author: Beta 5
That's unfortunate. What about the plug-in CFLs that are made there? Are any linear fluorescents still made there?
Indeed, the 2D's are of particular concern as they are probably the best quality ones you can get today.

Fluorescent Forever :lfl:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Tungsram Update « Reply #6 on: August 11, 2022, 08:15:18 PM » Author: Rommie
Sad indeed to hear this. Pardon my ignorance, but are the GE-branded Wattmiser 2D lamps that are made in Hungary from this factory..? They are indeed incredibly long lived, we have a 28W one in our bathroom that has been in daily use for over 10 years and shows no sign of failing.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 08:18:01 PM by Rommie » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Tungsram Update « Reply #7 on: August 11, 2022, 09:21:30 PM » Author: sol
I always assumed that all lamps made in Hungary are all Tungsramā€¦
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Tungsram Update « Reply #8 on: August 22, 2022, 11:19:27 PM » Author: Silverliner
I saw some new GE Savant 70w and 150w HPS medium base lamps for sale at Lowes, still made in Hungary as of February 2022. They must be one of the last!

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Tungsram Update « Reply #9 on: August 23, 2022, 11:11:31 AM » Author: funkybulb
 Thanks James for sad Breaking news.  I think part of this was
 US Banned more Incandescents  such as 150 watt and 3 way
 Lamps from Tungsram  by end  of this year too. 

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies