Author Topic: What Is The Silver Coating In The Base Of HPS & SOX Lamps For?  (Read 1080 times)
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
What Is The Silver Coating In The Base Of HPS & SOX Lamps For? « on: August 10, 2022, 08:25:34 PM » Author: 108CAM
This is something that I've always wondered. What is the purpose of the silver colour that coats the inside of HPS & SOX lamp bases? I've noticed that only sodium based lamps have it and have always wondered what it's meant to do.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What Is The Silver Coating In The Base Of HPS & SOX Lamps For? « Reply #1 on: August 11, 2022, 02:08:49 AM » Author: Medved
The outer bulb has vacuum in it, so in order to have really a complete vacuum there (so no glow discharge or so could start there), a "getter" is used to absorb the remaining gasses. Usually that is in the form of a mix of metals, initially sprayed out from their holder (a ring of U-shape reservoir, fast heated by induction) and then deposited onto larger surface, so it has sufficient surface area to do the absorbing...

No more selfballasted c***

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What Is The Silver Coating In The Base Of HPS & SOX Lamps For? « Reply #2 on: August 11, 2022, 05:23:07 AM » Author: Rommie
Medved is correct, the getter is mostly comprised of barium.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: What Is The Silver Coating In The Base Of HPS & SOX Lamps For? « Reply #3 on: August 11, 2022, 05:46:35 AM » Author: Econolite03
What happens if the coating turns white? Is the lamp useless?
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: What Is The Silver Coating In The Base Of HPS & SOX Lamps For? « Reply #4 on: August 11, 2022, 06:25:38 AM » Author: dor123
The getter turns white if oxygen leaked into the lamp, so the lamp is useless then.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: What Is The Silver Coating In The Base Of HPS & SOX Lamps For? « Reply #5 on: August 11, 2022, 08:33:47 PM » Author: 108CAM
Thanks for the info! This is something that I had been curious about ever since I got my first HPS lamp.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What Is The Silver Coating In The Base Of HPS & SOX Lamps For? « Reply #6 on: August 12, 2022, 12:43:50 AM » Author: joseph_125
Interestingly Philips marketed a line of SOX lamps that used solid state zirconium-cobalt getter pellet instead of the traditional barium getter. They're quite rare and I think were only ever marketed in Europe. They look really unique though as the lamps are completely clear.

http://www.lamptech.co.uk/Spec%20Sheets/D%20SLP%20Philips%20SOXPSG35.htm

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What Is The Silver Coating In The Base Of HPS & SOX Lamps For? « Reply #7 on: August 12, 2022, 09:00:50 AM » Author: Rommie
Yes, the PSG range. They were only made in 35W and 55W (26W/36W for SOX- E) as the position of the pellet meant that the getter was not as effective on longer lamps.

Quite rare, as you say, especially with the different coloured caps, after a while they changed to normal coloured ones, presumably as a cost-cutting exercise.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Lampwizard

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What Is The Silver Coating In The Base Of HPS & SOX Lamps For? « Reply #8 on: August 16, 2022, 12:17:04 PM » Author: Lampwizard
As far as I know some getters for certain lamp types (forgot which ones; quartz lamps?) also function as a hydrogen getter to prevent it from diffusing from the outer bulb through the glass of the discharge vessel. Apparently, the ingress of H2 increases the lamp re-ignition voltage up to the point when the lamps fails to re-ignite, thus rendering the lamp useless...
However, this kind of getter is placed inside a metal ring and does not come in the form of a silver-like layer.

Philips colour 27: best fluorescent tube colour.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies