Author Topic: Older generation SOX 35 and 55W on electronic ballast, does it work?  (Read 1547 times)
Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Older generation SOX 35 and 55W on electronic ballast, does it work? « on: July 30, 2022, 05:41:02 AM » Author: Michael
I like to run older rounded top Philips SOX lamps with metallic arc tube supports on dedicated electronic ballasts (Philips EXC). I wonder if this can cause problems and shorten the life of such SOX lamps as maybe the metallic parts gets capacitively charged due to higher frequencies of such a ballast may alter their functionality. What do experts say about this?

Thanks in advance.

Michael
Max

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Older generation SOX 35 and 55W on electronic ballast, does it work? « Reply #1 on: July 30, 2022, 05:44:59 AM » Author: Max
I don't expect any particular issues in the case you are mentioning because although capacitive currents between the burner and the metal frame will be higher, this will not necessarily cause any electrolysis of sodium in glass. For that problem to arise you need much lower frequencies (mains) or DC.
Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Older generation SOX 35 and 55W on electronic ballast, does it work? « Reply #2 on: July 30, 2022, 02:55:12 PM » Author: Michael
Ok I see. That make sense. Thank you Max for the explanation.  8)
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Older generation SOX 35 and 55W on electronic ballast, does it work? « Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 12:08:43 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
We found that running a 35W SOX lamp on an electronic ballast versus the good old magnetic lump made quite a difference.  :wndr:

Despite both ballasts being the correct rating the electronic one was outperformed hands down by the magnetic one. :lps:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Older generation SOX 35 and 55W on electronic ballast, does it work? « Reply #4 on: August 12, 2022, 03:22:51 AM » Author: Michael
Ok I find that the lamp on an electronic ballast runs up slower than on magnetic.
The reason why I have chosen the electronic gear for my to SOX converted fixture is that it is weights much less than that with a leak transformer and capacitors. This is a important point as these fixtures are often used as stage lighting in our theater.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Older generation SOX 35 and 55W on electronic ballast, does it work? « Reply #5 on: August 12, 2022, 09:57:43 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
That sounds reasonable, we don't have to bother with weight considerations for our ballast boards  :lps:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies