Author Topic: Why do Japanese screw base lamps use the North American designations?  (Read 1493 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Why do Japanese screw base lamps use the North American designations? « on: May 04, 2022, 02:37:09 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
While doing my research on Japanese lighting, I have found out that their medium base bulbs have an “E26” designation while their mogul base bulbs have an “E39” designation like you see with North American lamps instead of “E27” and “E40” like you see in most countries in the world. Why is this so?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Why do Japanese screw base lamps use the North American designations? « Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 02:44:25 AM » Author: joseph_125
It's probably due to the fact that Japan drew a lot of inspiration from North American electric standards when they created their own. If you look at their wiring devices, they use the same style junction box mounts as North American ones. Also their standard domestic outlets are based off of NEMA 1-15 outlets. Of interest, grounded outlets don't seem to be that common. Instead you can get the standard Japanese NEMA 1-15 style outlet but with a separate binding post on the outlet for the ground. NEMA 5-15 plugs and outlets are available BUT they don't seem to be that common.

That said, because of this, I'm not surprised their screw bases are E26 and E39.
bulb_tester2009

View Posts
View Gallery

Resolutely crack down on inferior LED lighting!!

GoL
Re: Why do Japanese screw base lamps use the North American designations? « Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 08:39:10 PM » Author: bulb_tester2009
For example, the plugs and sockets in Japan and the United States are almost the same, and Japan insists on using the same E17, E26 and E39 as in the United States.

I've been collecting light bulbs since I was 2 years old and I've been collecting them ever since.
 :hps::hps::hps:
由于我来自中国,所以英语不精通,大部分内容都是翻译的,所以可能不通顺,请大家谅解
Note:
Bulb base in China:E12(CES) E14(SES) B22d(BC) E27(ES) E40(GES)

marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do Japanese screw base lamps use the North American designations? « Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 03:55:13 PM » Author: marcopete87
While doing my research on Japanese lighting, I have found out that their medium base bulbs have an “E26” designation while their mogul base bulbs have an “E39” designation like you see with North American lamps instead of “E27” and “E40” like you see in most countries in the world. Why is this so?

Voltage?  ???
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do Japanese screw base lamps use the North American designations? « Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 06:00:29 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Japan has both 100v and 200v mains supplies.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do Japanese screw base lamps use the North American designations? « Reply #5 on: May 06, 2022, 12:51:13 PM » Author: marcopete87
Japan has both 100v and 200v mains supplies.

https://www.kepco.co.jp/english/home/denki/01.html#:~:text=The%20Kansai%20Electric%20Power%20Company,200V%20are%20different%20in%20shapes.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Why do Japanese screw base lamps use the North American designations? « Reply #6 on: May 06, 2022, 03:24:47 PM » Author: joseph_125
I find it interesting that 200V seems to be the highest voltage they have in Japan, even for industrial three phase use.

Compared to most European countries which have a ~400V three phase voltage standard and the US and Canada which have a 277v/480v and 347v/600v three phase standard for industrial use.

200v three phase does work but you're going to be spending a more in wiring costs wiring up a 200v three phase piece of machinery compared to a 480v three phase or 600v three phase machine.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do Japanese screw base lamps use the North American designations? « Reply #7 on: May 06, 2022, 06:17:15 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I believe that North American 208v ballasts would work very nicely on a Japanese 200v 60hz mains supply while Japanese 200v 60hz ballasts would also work nicely on North American 208v 60hz mains.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Why do Japanese screw base lamps use the North American designations? « Reply #8 on: July 31, 2022, 12:02:10 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Going back to your original question; it's possible that it dates back to the reconstruction of Japanese industry after the war, America was heavily involved in that.
So they would have imported US machinery to help get the factories operational again.  :wndr:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do Japanese screw base lamps use the North American designations? « Reply #9 on: August 03, 2022, 02:26:33 PM » Author: James
In fact during the electrification of Japan, GE of America only equipped the Eastern part, and its subsidiary BTH/GEC of England equipped the much larger Western areas.  Even though the mains voltage had already been standardised at low voltage by then, the East opted like USA for 110V 60Hz whereas the West standardised on 100V at the European 50Hz frequency.  The country remains so divided to this day, of course the 60Hz and 50Hz regions cannot be connected.

I think the main reason for the standardisation on US style lamps is because Japan’s first lamp manufacturer was the Tokyo Shibuara Electric Company (since the 1960s known as Toshiba but whose lamps used to be sold under the Mazda brand), and that company was fully dominated by IGE of America.  IGE provided know-how, production machinery and components from Ohio so it was logical that it supplied its own American designs.  Only relatively recently did Toshiba become independent from IGE and explore its own unique designs.

jrmcferren

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do Japanese screw base lamps use the North American designations? « Reply #10 on: August 17, 2022, 12:45:03 PM » Author: jrmcferren
I believe that North American 208v ballasts would work very nicely on a Japanese 200v 60hz mains supply while Japanese 200v 60hz ballasts would also work nicely on North American 208v 60hz mains.

Don't forget that Japanese 100 Volt 60Hz fluorescent choke ballasts will work on US (or Okinawa) 120 volt 60Hz mains.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do Japanese screw base lamps use the North American designations? « Reply #11 on: August 17, 2022, 02:05:14 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I think that a 100v 50hz magnetic ballast would work better on North American 120v 60hz mains because whenever you induce a voltage that is higher than the device is rated for, there is an increased chance that it will get destroyed if the frequency is the same. The reason that a 100v 50hz magnetic ballast will work better on North American 120v 60hz mains is because the lower frequency rating will compensate for the lower voltage.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies