Author Topic: Question about germicidal lamps  (Read 689 times)
RadiantMV

View Posts
View Gallery

Question about germicidal lamps « on: December 16, 2022, 03:21:23 PM » Author: RadiantMV
If i took one of these lamps and placed it in a sealed glass jar or test tube or something similar and drilled a small hole in the lid for the wire to get in would i be safe from the dangerous UV rays? I know glass blocks UVC but i want to make sure I don’t accidentally blind myself by doing something that doesn’t work.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Question about germicidal lamps « Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 04:29:00 PM » Author: Medved
Normally glass block pretty much all UVC, majority of UVB and a lot of UVA.
However there do exist glasses, which let them pass. One is 9bviously quartz, but also glasses cleaned from iron content. In either case such glasses are not that frequently used, just because of the cost (both the material itself, as well as its processing).
If you look at your glass from the edge (where you can see the light that had to pass longer distance through that glass) and it is greenish, you are pretty safe (the greenish tint is in fact what is suppressing the UV, just way more than the blue so normal thickness is enough).
If it looks colorless, it still may block, but as well not.

No more selfballasted c***

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Question about germicidal lamps « Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 04:48:19 PM » Author: Rommie
Pretty much all normal glass will block the UV. We used a beer glass to put over our Philips TUV6.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

RadiantMV

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Question about germicidal lamps « Reply #3 on: December 27, 2022, 10:45:46 PM » Author: RadiantMV
Would borosilicate glass work? I’m pretty sure that’s the kind used in clear MV lamps to block UVC.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies