Author Topic: Your lighting related electrical accidents  (Read 2022 times)
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Your lighting related electrical accidents « on: September 08, 2022, 05:12:04 PM » Author: HIDLad001
Once I got a tingle from my homemade neon nightlight. Another time, I put a 12V red halogen lamp across 120VAC and it exploded. I was holding it and I am very lucky I didn't get burned, shocked, or glass embedded in my fingers.

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Your lighting related electrical accidents « Reply #1 on: September 09, 2022, 01:38:38 AM » Author: 108CAM
I once had a ballast turn into fireworks while it was getting tested.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Your lighting related electrical accidents « Reply #2 on: September 09, 2022, 02:32:39 PM » Author: HIDLad001
Was that the ballast from your Sylvania B2224?

Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.

108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: Your lighting related electrical accidents « Reply #3 on: September 10, 2022, 04:06:39 AM » Author: 108CAM
Yes it was

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Your lighting related electrical accidents « Reply #4 on: September 10, 2022, 05:44:59 PM » Author: Econolite03
I put a 12V candelabra base bulb from a battery operated candle into a 120V night light then plugged it in. Went pop!
 :poof:
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Your lighting related electrical accidents « Reply #5 on: September 10, 2022, 06:17:36 PM » Author: HIDLad001
My incident with the halogen lamp was similar.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Your lighting related electrical accidents « Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 04:01:04 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Carrying a fluorescent tube down a flight of steps when I slipped.! :poof:

The shards of glass cut into my hand, and I've still got the scars thirty four years on.  :(

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Your lighting related electrical accidents « Reply #7 on: September 22, 2022, 02:04:46 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Probably the stupidest thing I’ve ever done was fitting my old 6 spot kitchen lights in the photo, the first one (the one in the photo), I put up with no issues, but at the time I only had 6 LED lamps, so I tested the first fitting and took the lamps out of it to test the second that was going across the room from this one.
However I forgot to turn the power off and as I was wiring the other one, so I could be hands free, I had it wedged between my neck!, (a bit like how you would hold a phone while you writing something down)…….
……live wiring and an earthed stainless steel fitting wedge between my neck……..

……you can guess what happened next!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Your lighting related electrical accidents « Reply #8 on: September 22, 2022, 02:08:13 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Eeek.!!  :poof:

You're still with us though, and it could so easily have been otherwise...  :DeAtH: :'(

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Your lighting related electrical accidents « Reply #9 on: September 22, 2022, 02:13:41 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Funny thing was, just after I picked myself off the floor, Jo rang me to come pick her up from a Christmas shopping trip, and when I got to her destination the first thing she asked was, “why have you got a massive purple line on the side of your face?”  :lol:

Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Your lighting related electrical accidents « Reply #10 on: September 22, 2022, 05:23:16 PM » Author: Econolite03
I’ve been shocked by Christmas lights numerous times. I tried working on a set used outside after it rained and you can guess what happened next.
 :short:
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Your lighting related electrical accidents « Reply #11 on: September 22, 2022, 07:52:08 PM » Author: HIDLad001
Just had a PL fluorescent lamp implode on me the other day. It was the tube from my OttLite clamp lamp, I had already saved the base and starter, but I intended to get rid of the tube. The tube flexed and I heard a pop noise, and the next thing I knew, there were shards of glass all over the ground, so I had to clean that up.

I was wiring the other one, so I could be hands free, I had it wedged between my neck!, (a bit like how you would hold a phone while you writing something down)…….
……live wiring and an earthed stainless steel fitting wedge between my neck……..

……you can guess what happened next!

Bloody h***! How did you survive that?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 08:01:12 PM by HIDLad001 » Logged

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Your lighting related electrical accidents « Reply #12 on: September 23, 2022, 02:03:23 AM » Author: AngryHorse
We’ve all spoken in the other thread about what each of our definition of an electric shock feels like, but this one ( through the neck), I can only describe as, “being removed from the step ladder with a baseball bat”!  :lol:

I laugh about it now but it was lucky it threw me off the ladder away from the fixture, if I’d had been sat down, in a corner say, I doubt I could have got off as lightly?

Welcome to OBLIVION

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Your lighting related electrical accidents « Reply #13 on: September 23, 2022, 03:18:19 AM » Author: HIDLad001
Often the recoil or your body's action of trying to get away from the live power usually hurts more than the actual electric shock.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Your lighting related electrical accidents « Reply #14 on: September 23, 2022, 08:00:34 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Tell me about it.!  :poof:

I still remember the time I was thrown backwards off a supply and through a partition wall.  :curse:

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies