Author Topic: Philips Cosmo Gold Lamps  (Read 926 times)
Alex

View Posts
View Gallery

feel free to ask questions

Philips Cosmo Gold Lamps « on: September 18, 2022, 02:16:32 PM » Author: Alex
Hello to you all,
I have a question considering the Philips Cosmo Gold series of sodium lamps.
Philips sought with the development of the CosmosPolis lamp to design an new compact system of street lighting lamps with a twist lock base.

The Cosmo White lamps (CMH lamps) were made firstly in 60 and 140W. Later 35W and 90W what were added at the end of 2006. Today, 45, 60W, 90W and 140W Lamps of this typ were still available. These lamps were fairly commonly used however philips reamins the Only manufacturer.

However For end 2005 a CosmoGold lamp was announced here a 65W and 140W variety with a 90W system being likely available in 2006. This lamp sought to replace traditional sodium lamps. However in difference to the CosmoGold Lamp did seemingly gain any of the popularity of the CosmoWhit lamp. The lamp had some advantages, so the higher effiency compared to standard Sodium lamps. (c. 117lm/w 140W CosmoGold Vs 98lm/w SON-T150), a much compacter lamp and the option since 2006 for dimmable lamps (25% of light output/35% of power).
However the life was shorter the standard SON lamp (16.000hrs vs 20.000hrs). Also Colour rendering was with an RA20 slightly lower the the RA 25 of a SON-T lamp.

EDIT 1) The life description is Wrong! The life of a CosmoGold lamps is 16.000Hrs up to 10% failure while the life of a son Lamps is 12.000hrs up to 5% failure or 20.000hrs up to 20% failure, so the life expectancy af the complete functioning of an installation is likely better then the system of SON lamps.
EDIT2) The Lumen decrease with time is with only -10% at 16000hrs while the one of a SON lamp is -10% already at 5.000hrs. So the lumen maintenance is much better.

Both Lamp types run on electronic ballasts. Both lamps systems are not interchangeable. (CosmoGold 140W 2.5A VS CosmoWhite 1.5A)

At the end it is to see that the Cosmo White system become popular. The CosoGold not-or at least not as I know. And here comes my question. Why did that happen, lack of demand? Was there a design flaw that is not known or were the disadvantages described above already enough to kill it?  Or were the Lamp and system just to expensive-compared to traditional sodium lamps? How long and how many were made? Was there a serious production run? I have to lamps with adequate boxes however unmarked and they look more like samples. The internet shows nothing about the CosmoGold system only a 8 page brochure about the CosmoPolis system, were most of the data here come from. Note: Only CosmoWhite installations are shown in the brochure, the cosmo Gold System was only described.

EDIT 3- replaced "life" with "time".
Best regards,

Alex
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 02:38:05 PM by Alex » Logged

Glück auf ⚒️

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Philips Cosmo Gold Lamps « Reply #1 on: September 18, 2022, 02:33:12 PM » Author: Rommie
I confess I have not heard of the CosmoGold lamp before now, but you have me intrigued, I hope to find out more  :wndr:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Max

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips Cosmo Gold Lamps « Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 05:54:39 PM » Author: Max
That's an interesting subject and this inspired me for a random lamp of the day shot - check there.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Philips Cosmo Gold Lamps « Reply #3 on: September 18, 2022, 06:52:15 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
As always Max, you come up with an answer, especially when it's got anything to do with Philips.  :-*

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Alex

View Posts
View Gallery

feel free to ask questions

Re: Philips Cosmo Gold Lamps « Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 09:57:10 AM » Author: Alex
Hello Max,
Many thanks for your explanation.

best regards,

Alex

Glück auf ⚒️

Max

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips Cosmo Gold Lamps « Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 01:28:14 PM » Author: Max
You're welcome, Alex.

I think there is a rational explanation for that, Sammi ;)
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies