Author Topic: when did "daylight" first come out ?  (Read 5868 times)
prawnman88

View Posts
View Gallery

my old friend proteus the prawn!

when did "daylight" first come out ? « on: November 11, 2006, 07:37:57 PM » Author: prawnman88
was it the40's ?  what im asking is the first bulb fluro or incadescent ?
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: when did "daylight" first come out ? « Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 10:05:05 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
Incandescent bulbs was invented long long long time ago in 1800s....

the Daylight color was the VERY first color for fluorecent lights which was the late 1930s

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: when did "daylight" first come out ? « Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 10:45:48 PM » Author: Silverliner
The daylight was the first fluorescent phosphor when such lamps were introduced to the market in 1938. Shortly afterwards, colors such as 3500K White, Soft White, Blue, Green, Pink, and Red came out.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: when did "daylight" first come out ? « Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 09:51:40 PM » Author: icefoglights
I know Daylight was the first fluorescent phosphor.  About when did the other various fluorescent whites (3500k, Cool White, Warm White, C50, WWX/CWX, etc...) came out?  Which ones would have originally been zinc beryllium?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 01:21:29 AM by icefoglights » Logged

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: when did "daylight" first come out ? « Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 04:57:56 AM » Author: dor123
This is way wrong. The first phosphor that fluorescent lamps used was Zinc Beryllium Silicate. it had only one shade of color: White (3500K).
The halophosphors were the first type of fluorescent phosphors that their white shade can be varied, as well as to daylight light color (Primery because that the halophosphors are a blend of two materials that radiates in the blue and the orange part of the spectrum respectively and the color therefore can be changed by changing the ratio of these two materials).

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: when did "daylight" first come out ? « Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 07:37:08 PM » Author: Foxtronix
In North America daylight DID come out first. And zinc beryllium sillicate can be mixed with other phosphors. The phosphor containing zinc beryllium doesn't make it unmixable with other phosphors. Mixing zinc beryllium sillicate with blue emitting calcium tungstate will create a daylight phosphor.

The halophosphate was actually the ingredient in the phosphor mixes that replaced zinc beryllium sillicate. I guess they both have the same colour temperature (3500K)

kai

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: when did "daylight" first come out ? « Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 07:15:05 PM » Author: kai
This paper states that General Electric offered fluorescent lamps from the start, i.e. the commercial launch in 1938, in both 3500 and 6500 K, with the latter being accepted by the market much less than expected, prompting the later introduction of "cool white" as a compromise:

The Story Behind This Account of Fluorescent Lamp Development
icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: when did "daylight" first come out ? « Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 12:45:20 AM » Author: icefoglights
That's a great write-up.  Thanks for linking that  :)

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

SuperSix

View Posts
View Gallery

ATL P42STUFF supersix94
Re: when did "daylight" first come out ? « Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 08:15:15 AM » Author: SuperSix
Very interesting!

I see that the name 'switch-start' was used back then for circuits with starter switches, I wonder when the name 'pre-heat' took over in the US? We've always stuck with switch-start in the UK, also written as two separate words 'switch start' or one 'switchstart'.

Also interesting that resonant starting circuits were trialled but were sometimes found to fail to start the tube and then overheat. They were quite common over here a few decades ago and are known as 'semi-resonant start', 'resonant start' or sometimes 'resonance - double choke'.

Atlas Lamps - Seeing Is Believing!

http://www.youtube.com/user/P42STUFF

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: when did "daylight" first come out ? « Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 02:49:22 AM » Author: Medved
@Eliot: (Semi-)resonant start returned, as the principle of virtually all HF ballasts - they use the LC resonance effects to boost the voltage and most of them even to provide the filament heating. In fact i do not know any mains powered ballast design, that will not use this method. Only some low voltage DC supplied inverters (Flyback and Royer-oscillator based) do not use this method, but programed start ballasts for buses are again using Resonant start concept (the starting voltage could be controlled independently on the operating current, so it allow high line regulation necessary with batteries).

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies