Author Topic: Vintage street lighting scenes!  (Read 2946 times)
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Vintage street lighting scenes! « on: October 08, 2022, 09:16:48 PM » Author: Burrito
I recently found some vintage photos of Interstate 15 back around 1971-1979! Mainly mercury (or HPS, idk) M400A's and new, shiny davit poles

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vintage street lighting scenes! « Reply #1 on: October 08, 2022, 10:11:40 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 The photo was taken on W 100 N/N Temple , Salt Lake City, Utah . I'm guessing it's from around the early 70's from the era of cars in the photo . The area looks completely different now with the exception of the old "Salt Lke Hardware Co." bldg.

https://goo.gl/maps/KuCipgaDiBiPxMcV9

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: Vintage street lighting scenes! « Reply #2 on: October 08, 2022, 10:12:18 PM » Author: Burrito
Yep! How did you know?

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vintage street lighting scenes! « Reply #3 on: October 08, 2022, 10:22:30 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 I just googled the Salt Lake Hardware Company  , then looked at the building from different map angles until I found the one that matched the closest .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: Vintage street lighting scenes! « Reply #4 on: October 08, 2022, 10:23:02 PM » Author: Burrito
Oh, I see! Good to know!

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vintage street lighting scenes! « Reply #5 on: October 09, 2022, 02:29:37 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Before all the construction along I-15 in Davis County, specifically Farmington area starting in the 1990s, the center divider between east bound and west bound going from about the area of Farmington Jr. High, all the way north to the north end of Lagoon, had those same single pole dual arm fixtures, which were Mercury Vapor.  I believe they were likely in place from sometime in the 1970s up until they removed them when they began the widening project.  I only got to see them all on once as I remember when I was very little.  And then UDOT I believe went and removed most of the bulbs and deactivated most of the poles.  Only a handful of fixtures were left serviceable and operating.  It was really a shame, as I remember how neat that highway looked all lit up like that in the early 1980s as a young boy.   They kept many of the fixtures throughout Davis County as mercury vapor and then slowly converted them over to HPS as the MV burned out or had dayburners that needed photocells replaced.  The neighborhood I lived in in Farmington had some neat looking 10 ft tall english style MV fixtures with button style photocells in the poles.  I remember dismantling one photocell when my lighting curiosity began to spike around the age of 12.  The pole was a remote located pole in the neighborhood and had not worked for some time, either dead underground power, or a bad ballast I suspected.. but I got up the courage to unscrew the phillips screws that held in that button photocell and ripped it right out of the pole and ran for my life.  haha.  they eventually repaired the pole not too long before we moved out of the neighborhood.  I was also fascinated by the 12 MV tennis court lamps (color corrected) we had in the neighborhood.  They were shoebox fixtures mounted on 6ft arms on 15-20 foot poles.  I enjoyed cycling them on and off and waiting to see which bulbs would relamp first out of the 6 in the upper court and 6 on the lower court. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: Vintage street lighting scenes! « Reply #6 on: October 09, 2022, 09:30:37 AM » Author: Burrito
Fun story! yeah those davit mast arms are pretty rad looking

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Vintage street lighting scenes! « Reply #7 on: October 09, 2022, 02:49:02 PM » Author: joseph_125
Neat pictures, those setups must have looked pretty modern in the 1970s. Would have been amazing to see if they were using MV in them. The signal masts look pretty modern too, and it looks like they're already using all 12" heads. Over here there's still a lot of older installs with 12-8-8 heads.

Those vintage highway signs looked pretty cool too, almost look like they might be button copy which is a older style of sign construction that hasn't been used in the past 20+ years. Instead of reflective vinyl, painted metal text with reflective buttons was riveted to the sign board.
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: Vintage street lighting scenes! « Reply #8 on: October 09, 2022, 02:50:58 PM » Author: Burrito
They where Button copy for a time when the sign gantries weren't those newer tubular ones that UDOT likes to use.
Yes, these would have been most likely mercury or HPS.
Also, I recently found this NOS Mercury M400 fixture! https://www.flickr.com/photos/88219189@N04/12256900356/in/album-72157640395343805/
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 03:03:25 PM by HM1000 » Logged

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Vintage street lighting scenes! « Reply #9 on: October 09, 2022, 06:14:58 PM » Author: joseph_125
I just noticed that the sign gantry is of a older design instead of the monotube ones used by UDOT. That NOS M-400 split door is owned by a LG member, Streetlight98. I believe he got it off eBay. Around 2011 or so there was a seller on eBay with around 50 of them all NOS I believe. I kind of wish I got one too.
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: Vintage street lighting scenes! « Reply #10 on: October 09, 2022, 06:16:39 PM » Author: Burrito
Yeah! Also, the newer tubular sign gantries we use are made by a company called "Universal Industrial Sales" https://www.uisutah.com/signstructures

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Vintage street lighting scenes! « Reply #11 on: October 09, 2022, 06:41:09 PM » Author: joseph_125
Interesting. MTO usually has them made by Valmont Structures. Not sure about the older aluminum tapered leg gantries used by the MTO from the mid 60s to the mid 90s though. Those also had provisions for illumination, both HO fluorescent and HID (MV/HPS).
Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: Vintage street lighting scenes! « Reply #12 on: October 09, 2022, 06:43:47 PM » Author: Burrito
That's a pretty interesting sign gantry there! Anyways, i guess here is some more M400A scenes

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vintage street lighting scenes! « Reply #13 on: October 09, 2022, 08:06:09 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
They were absolutely MV and many remained MV well into the 90s until they were converted to HPS.  They had to be very strong as well because of extremely crazy high winds along the wasatch front.  Especially the canyon winds like in that photo with the yellow 1960s mustang, at the entrance to Weber canyon/I-84 & Highway 89. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: Vintage street lighting scenes! « Reply #14 on: October 09, 2022, 08:08:09 PM » Author: Burrito
Hmm, That's pretty interesting! I didn't know that over here went HPS in the 1990's!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies