Author Topic: Why do amalgam non integrated CFLs striate on startup even at room temperatures?  (Read 602 times)
70HPS

View Posts
View Gallery

sodium lamp

Why do amalgam non integrated CFLs striate on startup even at room temperatures? « on: October 12, 2022, 07:06:46 PM » Author: 70HPS
I have a GE Biax 42w PL-T that flashes brightly on startup followed by a pink glow accompanied by striations.

It slowly shifts to the 3500k it's supposed to be.

Reminds me of how a HID starts up.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 08:52:06 PM by 70HPS » Logged

I like HID, CFLs and incandescents :hps: :cflhd: :a19incan:

Favorite indoor light source: PL Fluorescent (Preferably preheat, maybe rapid start, maybe instant start but instant start is boring)
Favorite outdoor light source: High Pressure Sodium (MV maybe, but HPS is relaxing)

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do amalgam non integrated CFLs striate on startup even at room temperatures? « Reply #1 on: October 13, 2022, 02:26:11 AM » Author: Medved
The amalgam, designed to keep the mercury pressure at its optimum at the operating temperature reduces mercury pressure at all temperatures. Because operating temperature is designed to be rather high (for a fluorescent perspective), at room temperature it absorbs majority of the mercury back into it, this leads to too low mercury pressure for correct operation (instabilities in the discharge shape and its brightness). So the amalgam needs to warm up to the operating temperature to release the mercury and then the released mercury has to be distributed over the whole tube.

It is not just the really high temperature CFL's, even some T8's are suffering from similar effect, mainly when long time left unpowered at cold location. The mercury condenses on some metal parts and after power on it needs some time to get spread along the tube back.

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies