Author Topic: Is it normal for tubes to have scratches on them ?  (Read 1016 times)
Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Is it normal for tubes to have scratches on them ? « on: September 17, 2023, 05:14:16 PM » Author: Jovan
Hello to everyone.I did inspection at my collection and noticed that some tubes T12 have scratches on glass in the middle of the tube?These can be felt under nail.Should I worry,and why this happens,tubes are in box and beetween them is paper,tubes are stable and static(not moving).
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Is it normal for tubes to have scratches on them ? « Reply #1 on: September 17, 2023, 07:38:07 PM » Author: Rommie
I can't say I've noticed, but I almost always use cotton gloves when handling lamps. I picked up the habit when handling quartz lamps, as of course these do not like to be contaminated with oils from bare hands, and it also helps with avoiding fingerprints on the glass, which is another of my pet grumbles. But it doesn't seem like it should happen in normal handling  :wndr:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Is it normal for tubes to have scratches on them ? « Reply #2 on: September 17, 2023, 08:18:21 PM » Author: joseph_125
Interesting, I have a pair somewhere for handling film negatives but I never thought to use them for lamps. Anyway I got mine from the pharmacy of all places.
Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Is it normal for tubes to have scratches on them ? « Reply #3 on: September 17, 2023, 09:45:40 PM » Author: Patrick
I think it's relatively normal.  I have at least a handful of T12 and T8 lamps with scratches, some of which I can feel with my nail as well.  I'd probably find more if I inspected my tubes closer.  I've never had a lamp fail because of them, as far as I know.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is it normal for tubes to have scratches on them ? « Reply #4 on: September 17, 2023, 09:59:15 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Yup, I've had a good number of them as well. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: Is it normal for tubes to have scratches on them ? « Reply #5 on: September 17, 2023, 11:33:35 PM » Author: LightsAreBright27
I have had light scratches on tubes before. Seems to not affect it on tubes except damaging the etches. I have seen some have it from factory. Since yours are on the middle, there should be no problem.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 11:36:20 PM by LightsAreBright27 » Logged

Holder of the rare and sacred :sfl: F10T12/BL :sfl: lamps here!
Also known as LAB27 for short.
245v 50Hz

Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is it normal for tubes to have scratches on them ? « Reply #6 on: September 18, 2023, 03:52:45 PM » Author: Jovan
Thanks everyone.I turn on tubes and inspect them,there are no problems,they still hold vacuum.I keep them in box and they are safe.Honestly I was curious to see why is this happening and are there people with same "problem".
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is it normal for tubes to have scratches on them ? « Reply #7 on: September 18, 2023, 11:56:48 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
could it be the mercury beads inside that roll up and down and take off some phosphor?

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Is it normal for tubes to have scratches on them ? « Reply #8 on: September 22, 2023, 01:01:40 PM » Author: suzukir122
I've had scratches on my fluorescent tubes as well, both T8 and T12. I've even had an older T12 34w GE Watt-Miser that had a noticeable crack
near the end cap... still worked as if nothing was wrong.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is it normal for tubes to have scratches on them ? « Reply #9 on: September 23, 2023, 07:02:22 AM » Author: James
Scratches on the outer surface are entirely normal and harmless.  It’s a result of modern high speed production machines that throw the glass between the different mechanisms and inevitably cause some damage.  But it is impossible for these external scratches and cracks to grow. 

During manufacture the glass outer surface is heated in a flame containing sulphur dioxide gas, which reacts with the sodium carbonate component to form sodium sulphide dioxide which vaporises, and carbon dioxide.  There is no reaction with the silica component of the glass, so the result is to increase the % silica content - it basically turns the outer skin if the glass into quartz, which is incredibly strong.  The softened glass then passes through a so-called Hitachi blower which freezes the outer skin very rapidly, before the inner surface cools.  When the inside cools it pulls the outer skin into a state of compression - and it is impossible for glass to crack while in compression.  Conversely, the slightest scuff on the inner surface (which is in tension) would cause the glass to shatter.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies