Author Topic: Will all fluorescent lamps be banned by 2023 EU ecodesign laws?  (Read 3987 times)
AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Will all fluorescent lamps be banned by 2023 EU ecodesign laws? « Reply #15 on: April 13, 2022, 07:05:33 AM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
I semi got it, just. If you just said feet, I would have. 'Feet and inches' threw me off  ::) I can see different emotions in text, but I often take things at face value, so I can't see jokes easily. A :mrg: or ;) helps.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Will all fluorescent lamps be banned by 2023 EU ecodesign laws? « Reply #16 on: April 13, 2022, 07:06:54 AM » Author: Rommie
Yeah, I should have put a  :mrg: in, sorry :-\

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Will all fluorescent lamps be banned by 2023 EU ecodesign laws? « Reply #17 on: April 13, 2022, 08:06:34 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I don’t usually go by mm either, I go by wattage, 18/20 watt = 2 foot, 36/40 watt = 4 foot, 58/65 watt = 5 foot and so on  ;D

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

AsXSn

View Posts
View Gallery

Insulator, electrotechnic and HID lamps lover

UCop_Ku87f88E6twttI4ZIdg asxsn2003
Re: Will all fluorescent lamps be banned by 2023 EU ecodesign laws? « Reply #18 on: October 01, 2022, 06:04:26 PM » Author: AsXSn
Will the UK and other countries outside the EU be affected by these bans in 2023 such as Poland, Ukraine, Russia, etc.?
Poland is in European Union since 2004's
Rodalco

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Will all fluorescent lamps be banned by 2023 EU ecodesign laws? « Reply #19 on: October 02, 2022, 03:57:27 AM » Author: Rodalco
Anything Eco whatever makes me very annoyed. (wanted to use a lot more powerful word)

Forcing everyone on those crappy led fittings which fail often because of poorly made power supplies will only add more E-waste to the piles of junk we have created in our throw away society.

Fluorescent tubes are very energy efficient and long lasting.

Glad I don't live in Europe anymore where all the eco lovers try to control everything.

I upload a picture in the gallery.

New LED strips already failing on a display in a local warehouse.

A SOX lamp lighting up is like the sunrise on a beautiful day

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Will all fluorescent lamps be banned by 2023 EU ecodesign laws? « Reply #20 on: October 16, 2022, 10:04:35 AM » Author: Foxtronix
I'm kind of unit-agnostic (thanks Canada!) so I tend to remember round numbers regardless of the unit. Metric system itself is full of round numbers, but since it was deployed not all that long ago in Canada, so many measurements that used to be nice round numbers now are weird conversions. You'll hardly hear anyone around here say "I'll go buy 3.78L of windshield washer." It's still called a gallon, because it really is still one LOL. Want to look silly? Go in a hardware store and ask where the 50.8 X 101.6s are.  :mrg:

Tangent done.

Soon enough it'll be LED only. All the other technologies are either going to be too inefficient or contain too much mercury. The problem isn't the LED technology itself rather than the way it's often pushed to its limits, so just like its predecessors, you get more light but shorter lifespan.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Will all fluorescent lamps be banned by 2023 EU ecodesign laws? « Reply #21 on: October 16, 2022, 11:59:09 AM » Author: Rommie
The problem to me is compulsion. All other light sources are being banned, so nothing else is available, we have no choice unless we buy in bulk from places like eBay, and who knows how long before those sources dry up as well..? You know what, I don't care if an incandescent light bulb, fluorescent tube, discharge lamp or whatever is deemed 'inefficient' - I am the one paying the electricity bill, I'll use what I like as long as I can still get them  >:(

Ok, rant over. By the way, I'm not a fan of the metric system, mainly because I was brought up with the imperial system. I can convert a lot of things in my head, and I'm quite happy with metric drill bit sizes, for example, but distances and weights confuse me no end. And people are so ambiguous - take the term 'kilo' for example - I thought it meant 'thousand' but it seems to be some sort of weight  ???  If you mean kilogram then say so  :mrg: Or is it a kilometre..? Or possibly a kilowatt  ???

By the way, it's quite possible to go to a timber merchant here and ask for half a dozen 2m long 2x2 fence posts :mrg:

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Will all fluorescent lamps be banned by 2023 EU ecodesign laws? « Reply #22 on: October 16, 2022, 04:22:56 PM » Author: joseph_125
I've always wondered what will be the thing to kill off conventional light sources here, so far it seems like both environmental reasons both in terms of mercury content and power consumption and lack of demand for conventional sources from people using LED are as equally likely.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Will all fluorescent lamps be banned by 2023 EU ecodesign laws? « Reply #23 on: October 16, 2022, 04:44:38 PM » Author: Medved
I think except for incandescents the 12 years ago, the main force is the lack of demand.

No more selfballasted c***

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Will all fluorescent lamps be banned by 2023 EU ecodesign laws? « Reply #24 on: October 16, 2022, 05:26:42 PM » Author: Rommie
The main reason for lack of demand is lack of choice. There is nothing else available except LED now. Except, as I said, for places like eBay and occasionally thrift stores.

As for environmental issues, what about the pollution caused by manufacture and disposal of LED driver circuitry..? Printed circuits are not 'green' to make or get rid of by any stretch of the imagination. Compare that with an incandescent lamp where there's just glass and metal, no mercury involved. Even SOX lamps only contain metallic sodium, which isn't that difficult to get rid of.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Will all fluorescent lamps be banned by 2023 EU ecodesign laws? « Reply #25 on: October 17, 2022, 01:25:16 AM » Author: Medved
The truth is, the energy production, with about 30% average from coal, over the life of a single incandescent releases more mercury and other heavy elements than present in a single early 2000 CFL's. So from that perspective even smashing tge CFL and throwing into landfill pollutes less than operating the equivalent incandescent.
And for LED's, mainly the filament type, there is actually less electronic (= the PC board area, amount of solder,...) to become waste than in thise CFL's. And unlike the fluorescents, the LED waste does not get spread by water, so does not contaminate the surrounding.
That does not mean anyone should throw used lamps everywhere.
But neither it justifies all the "old" light technology bans.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Will all fluorescent lamps be banned by 2023 EU ecodesign laws? « Reply #26 on: October 17, 2022, 03:42:00 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I remember reading somewhere a few years ago, (can’t remember if it was here or on ATL though), that the materials for tri-phosphors for fluorescent tubes was rapidly depleting? feel free to correct me if I wrong here?
But it takes a lot of phosphor to make a fluorescent tube than it does to make an LED equivalent?, maybe this is another factor along with, (energy use, mercury content, disposal), that’s finishing off fluorescent lighting?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 03:55:52 AM by AngryHorse » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Will all fluorescent lamps be banned by 2023 EU ecodesign laws? « Reply #27 on: October 17, 2022, 05:53:52 AM » Author: Medved
It is not that much the depleting, but the available sources are only in China and China is tightening the export control of these materials in their raw form, in an attempt to convince others to buy the higher value final products rather than the raw materials.

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Will all fluorescent lamps be banned by 2023 EU ecodesign laws? « Reply #28 on: October 19, 2022, 05:24:26 AM » Author: funkybulb
 And poland philips is still makimg T12 for the North American market .   I am afrad the slimelines are going be first to go in the
 US as price shot  from 16  dollars to 28 dollars
 For a two pack of tubes since Salina Kanas plant close.
  This will force more residental and farm 8 foot slimeline user
   stop using there fixture.  And big three still rely on  philip  poland plant for T12 .  How ever we can still get the hungarian
  T12 8 and 10 footer for signs.  But that slowly going led as well.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies