Author Topic: Sad news. GE Euclid Lamp Plant to be demolished  (Read 437 times)
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Sad news. GE Euclid Lamp Plant to be demolished « on: December 10, 2022, 06:41:57 PM » Author: Silverliner
It was one of the oldest lamp plants in the USA and it has been vacant since 2008.

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2022/12/general-electric-to-demolish-massive-lightbulb-factory-complex-in-cleveland.html
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 08:51:50 PM by Silverliner » Logged

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Sad news. GE Euclid Lamp Plant to be demolished « Reply #1 on: December 10, 2022, 07:17:41 PM » Author: Foxtronix
Saddened a bit by the disappearance of this piece of history, but not surprised at all to be honest. Happened to us in Canada a few years ago with the demolition of GE's Oakville, ON factory. I can only assume Sylvania's Drummondville, QC location is next.

Thankfully it's fairly easy to save some of the lamps that were assembled in those historical factories!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Sad news. GE Euclid Lamp Plant to be demolished « Reply #2 on: December 11, 2022, 12:41:42 AM » Author: joseph_125
That's a shame but I guess something we'll see more and more to former lamp plants in the US and Canada.

Surprisingly, the front office part of GE Oakville remains to this day, although the rest of the plant has since been long demolished. Not sure what the plans are for the site though. It's been abandoned like that for almost a decade now. Would be nice if that block somehow got incorporated into a new facility.

As for the former Sylvania on 1 rue sylvan in Drummondville, I believe it's still there, and being used by Canimex.

See here (French)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 12:49:23 AM by joseph_125 » Logged
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies