Author Topic: Neon display briefcase  (Read 2471 times)
marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Neon display briefcase « on: November 02, 2022, 05:40:06 PM » Author: marcopete87
Hi all,
during my youtube surf, i saw this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyg5-wsIDwg

I don't understand any of the german language, but i think this is an interesting briefcase.
RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Neon display briefcase « Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 01:20:04 AM » Author: RRK
Neon demo box.
Used by a neon shop to help a sign designer and customer to decide on tube color.

Contains a row of neon tube samples with different combinations of phosphor, glass color and gas fill (Ne, Ar +Hg)
Some more advanced variants contain a row of shunting switches which allow to light up only some selected tubes.
marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Neon display briefcase « Reply #2 on: February 25, 2023, 11:15:41 AM » Author: marcopete87
Thanks RRK for the translation!
RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Neon display briefcase « Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 12:27:32 AM » Author: RRK
Interestingly, this video author mentions 1920's vintage, and while the wooden case might look old, neon tubes themselves looks much more modern. Based on glass / phosphor/ electrode combinations I'd say they are from around 1960's-1970's or later. Back in 1920's neon colors were much more limited. No phosphors were yet in wide use, and the colors available were mainly neon red in clear tube(obviously), mercury blue in clear tube, helium in clear or yellow glass (nice color, but abandoned today because of poor life and high voltage drop), and sometimes mercury in green (dim but pretty) or blue glass.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Neon display briefcase « Reply #4 on: February 27, 2023, 01:49:36 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I haven't seen the video myself, but the thought occurred to me that they might be reusing an old case with more modern tubes...  :wndr:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies