Author Topic: WOW!  (Read 3122 times)
Mr. Big
WOW! « on: August 19, 2009, 11:02:43 PM » Author: Mr. Big
WOW look at the first lamps on this video! Pause it at about 22 seconds!  :o never seen a fluoro tube die that way! orange half way up the tube! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPXtLpmN9_8
DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: WOW! « Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 08:41:08 PM » Author: DieselNut
WOW look at the first lamps on this video! Pause it at about 22 seconds!  :o never seen a fluoro tube die that way! orange half way up the tube! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPXtLpmN9_8

That is a preheat fixture.  The starters are right under the lamps on the right side.  Never seen a preheater do that!

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

DaveMan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: WOW! « Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 09:04:17 PM » Author: DaveMan
It was a preheater in the past. According to the description, there is an electronic F32T8 ballast in there and the starters are just dummy starters with a shorting wire to close the circuit. Cool concept though. Electronic instant start ballasts are great for cooking old lamps.

David L.
Administrator, Lighting-Gallery.net

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: WOW! « Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 04:03:33 AM » Author: dor123
I bet this is not a chinese low quality "instant start" ballast. This is a real instant start "Slimline" electronic ballast designed for fluorescent lamps having one pin. Because only slimline ballast can cause dying or dead lamps to do that strange things. Also there is a difference between slimline an low quality chinese "instant start" ballasts: Slimlines don't heats the electrode at all not before, during and after the ignition and so the lamps designed to operate with it have a single pin. On the other hand low quality "instant start" electronic ballast designed for two pin lamps actually heats the electrodes after the lamp ignited to prevent overheating of the ballast so they can't ignite dead or dying lamps. By the way, i think the US electronic ballasts haven't any EOL protection or any means of ballast protection and they can't detect wrong lamps, especially the electronic slimline ballasts.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 04:06:39 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: WOW! « Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 05:19:29 AM » Author: Medved
On new ballasts the protection is mandatory by the Code as the means of fire protection measure. Other interesting thing, one channel might serve max two lamps, so if one lamp die, max one another might be shut down together with the defective one, so one common inverter serving three or four lamps (e.g. in series) is not allowed anymore in new ballasts.

No more selfballasted c***

Miles

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: WOW! « Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 01:03:33 AM » Author: Miles
This is my video hehe!

To answer: Yes, it used to be a preheater but it got it converted to rapid start. Here's a pic of the fixture.

I am using not a slimline ballast but a crappy chinese F32T8 Tulamp electronic ballast that came from one of those cheap fixtures at HomeDepot. It works good on dead lamps and light them up 'til their last breath.

And yes, the starters are fake, I removed the tube in them and twisted the stems to get a close circuit.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies