Author Topic: Moonlight towers  (Read 1796 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #30 on: November 28, 2023, 04:24:30 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
When I visited Flagstaff, AZ in the summer, I noticed that they do use a good number of amber LED corn cob lamps and integrated amber LED fixtures over there to help minimize light pollution and protect nocturnal wildlife.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #31 on: November 28, 2023, 04:30:23 PM » Author: HIDLad001
Most of the old HPS streetlights here were complete glarebombs, and a bit too bright for a residential street. The new LEDs are slightly dimmer (lumen wise), but to my eyes they appear about as bright as the HPS lights.
Enclosed is a picture of what a typical LED streetlight for a footpath looks like. It is 50w and 3000K in color temperature, and quite a pleasure to walk under.
I will share a picture of a representation of what the LED post top outside my house looks like at night (to my eyes at least).
Maybe the brighter LED street lighting in the US would be brighter to Ria’s eyes to what is commonly installed in the UK.

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #32 on: November 29, 2023, 01:36:12 AM » Author: AngryHorse
White light of the CCT that most LEDs put out is very disruptive to wildlife. Also, the fact that SOX is monochrome means that contrast is excellent, so you see movement more easily. Colour temperature for street lighting shouldn't be an issue for drivers, you have excellent CCT from your headlights.
You want low levels of lighting..? Come to our street, what have I been saying..?
Low level lighting as in fully cut off LED lanterns at a low height yes, that’s a bad set up, what I mean is if they changed the columns in your street to run LED retrofit lamps in something, for example, like Thorn’s Beta Four, that would scatter light all around would work better with lower wattage lamps?
The post tops you originally had did this perfectly but with the drawbacks of little to no light on the actual road?

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #33 on: November 29, 2023, 06:31:50 AM » Author: Rommie
We had Industria Arc 80's or 90's, don't recall which. And both road and pavement were illuminated very well indeed. Which is why it was such a shock to come back to what we're now saddled with :sadbulb:  >:(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #34 on: November 29, 2023, 06:35:44 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
@ Sammi : Even that probably wouldn't kill these super weeds ! From what I've read , the only sure way to eradicate it is to completely remove and replace ALL contaminated soil and replace with new . Even then , the article said if so much as a 1/4" scrap of root is left , the entire colony WILL return !

@ HIDLad001 :  I agree about most streetlights being too bright . The US seems to lean towards much brighter lights than the rest of the world.  There's a 200w HPS M250R2 at the end of my street which could easily be replaced with something in the 70w range . Brighter isn't always better ! Lighting that provides better contrast makes more sense than something that's brighter just for the sake of being brighter . I'm sure the girl in the black hoodie of which I clipped with the side mirror in my van 10 or so years ago would agree with that !! Didn't even see her until she was about 15 ft from my front corner ! :P  YES , she was OK !!  I'd much rather have something that lights relatively evenly than something that's a zillion lumens of pure glare !

@ Ria : My biggest grips with LED streetlights are the shear lack of any form of glare management in 90% of the lights I've seen . Combine that with the God awful high color temps ! Even the lower color temps can still be just as blinding when no optical control is used .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #35 on: November 29, 2023, 08:59:56 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
We had Industria Arc 80's or 90's, don't recall which. And both road and pavement were illuminated very well indeed. Which is why it was such a shock to come back to what we're now saddled with :sadbulb:  >:(
Your city appears to have Philips Lumas and Urbis Axis 2's.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Moonlight towers « Reply #36 on: November 30, 2023, 12:56:58 AM » Author: Rommie
No idea what they are, don't care either, I want my HID back  :'(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies