Author Topic: Why sunsets and sunrise at north aren't red and dim?  (Read 1408 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Why sunsets and sunrise at north aren't red and dim? « on: November 11, 2022, 10:27:51 AM » Author: dor123
Here in Israel When the sun rises or sets, it usually have a color like this:

Or even dimmer red.
However: In north countries like Alaska or Norway, when the sun is low at the south or north horizon, it have colors like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O13z6qRETY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIlG8x5Qa_s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWvq-1wtxUY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI7wpQx9o-c

In short terms: In most north countries, when the sun reaches the horizon, it don't gets red at all. and also stay bright.
Why this is happens?

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Why sunsets and sunrise at north aren't red and dim? « Reply #1 on: November 11, 2022, 11:33:52 AM » Author: rjluna2
It is depending upon the quality of the atmosphere that you are seeing.  My guess is that more pollution in the air, it can go redder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_optics

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why sunsets and sunrise at north aren't red and dim? « Reply #2 on: November 11, 2022, 11:39:21 AM » Author: dor123
Haifa and Kiryat Ata, are very close to Bazan oil refinery and other chemical factories, which are one of the most polluting area in Israel.
Probably because of this the sun is red here during sunsets and sunrises.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: Why sunsets and sunrise at north aren't red and dim? « Reply #3 on: November 11, 2022, 03:21:07 PM » Author: lights*plus
It depends on the meteorological "air mass". The depth (height to the tropopause), humidity, temperature AND the particulate contaminants. Polar and Tropical air masses are SIGNIFICANTLY different. Each having its own set of optical properties. Tropical air masses retaining contaminants can appear very hazy.

Here is a simple diagram I had made to illustrate the heights of air-masses. cP = continental Polar. mT = Maritime Tropical. Israel is mainly affected by continental Tropical air masses, which would be located well to the right of mT in the diagram. The % in white is the relative humidity.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why sunsets and sunrise at north aren't red and dim? « Reply #4 on: November 12, 2022, 10:05:13 AM » Author: dor123
Israel isn't a country with a tropical weather.

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: Why sunsets and sunrise at north aren't red and dim? « Reply #5 on: November 12, 2022, 03:43:08 PM » Author: lights*plus
There are 4 regimes for "air masses" - Arctic, Polar, Tropical & Equatorial.

Meteorlogically speaking, Israel is mostly under the influence of a continental tropical air mass - cT. The Jordan, Arabian and the great Sahara desserts are the source regions for this air mass.

Scandinavian countries are mainly affected by Polar air masses (maritime or continental), but as well as Arctic air masses. These are similar to Polar air masses. Note that the European continent is not a source for any type of meteorological air mass (except for Siberia).
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Why sunsets and sunrise at north aren't red and dim? « Reply #6 on: November 13, 2022, 01:04:32 PM » Author: Cole D.
Years ago people used to say if the sunset is red, then stormy weather is on the way. And I must say, it always seems to hold true from what I’ve experienced.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why sunsets and sunrise at north aren't red and dim? « Reply #7 on: November 13, 2022, 04:14:48 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 I always heard that as the opposite . Red sky at night , sailor's delight . Red sky in the morning , sailors take warning !

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: Why sunsets and sunrise at north aren't red and dim? « Reply #8 on: November 13, 2022, 10:00:01 PM » Author: lights*plus
The saying "red sky at night, sailor's delight; red sky in morning, sailor's warning" dates at least to the 1st century AD. But it's accurate in the middle latitudes for Europe and the New World where air flow is almost always from the west to east. Also, "red sky" refers to any cloud formations lit by the setting or rising sun, not of the clear sky itself. In reference to cloud color, the saying is always accurate.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies