Author Topic: If you had to build a chandelier.  (Read 1373 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
If you had to build a chandelier. « on: October 18, 2022, 04:47:44 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
If anyone was tasked with building a homemade chandelier, what light source would you use and why?

Personally, I would use non-integrated CFL lamps on preheat circuits or linear fluorescent tubes on preheat circuits because I like watching fluorescent lamps blink to life on preheat circuits when power is applied to them.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Burrito

View Posts
View Gallery

Shaded OVM

Re: If you had to build a chandelier. « Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 06:01:20 PM » Author: Burrito
Metal Halide or High Pressure Sodium OR Mercury

ON LG FOR 2 YEARS! Please don't ask to meet up with me, as I am still living with my mother. Don't send me items either please, thank you!
LED street lights are bad. Some look good though. HID is better.
Please, watch out for the future. It's not looking good. Loves instruction manuals of any kind!

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: If you had to build a chandelier. « Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 02:42:53 PM » Author: AngryHorse
If anyone was tasked with building a homemade chandelier, what light source would you use and why?

Personally, I would use non-integrated CFL lamps on preheat circuits or linear fluorescent tubes on preheat circuits because I like watching fluorescent lamps blink to life on preheat circuits when power is applied to them.
Wouldn’t this need a hefty gear box though?  :) with an even bigger one for HID!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: If you had to build a chandelier. « Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 11:58:27 PM » Author: funkybulb
12 volt incandescents

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: If you had to build a chandelier. « Reply #4 on: October 31, 2022, 08:38:18 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
It wound depend on the intended purpose...
For a standard dining-room (where you'd normally have a chandelier), incandescent with standard C7-size sockets. (that in reality would mean you could use Incandescent, CFL or LED)
If it was a large room with high ceilings - say some sorta dining/event hall, then it'd be really cool to do vertical 4-foot "full-piper" type fixtures (4-lamp or especially 8-lamp)
...T12 for a more vintage look, or T5 for a sleek modern look.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Lamp_o_watcher

View Posts
View Gallery

We are the Sultans... We are the Sultans Of Swing!

Nido's Hardwar3 @Lamp_o_watcher
Re: If you had to build a chandelier. « Reply #5 on: November 20, 2022, 03:00:53 PM » Author: Lamp_o_watcher
If I had an Unlimited Budget, I would first replace every socket with Mogul size, Then, I would wire every socket to a 2kW Metal Halide Ballast and Ignitor. To top it off, a 2000w Osram MH Would go into each socket. Depending on how many sockets, this may or may not be able to light up a Bigger-Than-Average size Horse arena. It also may or may not cause the owner to go bankrupt (Cuz that gear and those lamps, they aint cheap lol)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 10:37:39 PM by Lamp_o_watcher » Logged

You are young and life is long, and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: If you had to build a chandelier. « Reply #6 on: November 20, 2022, 05:11:15 PM » Author: Rommie
That's just silly. I like it, when do we start..?  :mrg:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: If you had to build a chandelier. « Reply #7 on: November 20, 2022, 05:38:16 PM » Author: Econolite03
Mine would be made of a wagon wheel, and have flame effect LED bulbs facing up, and LED par 20s facing down for a downlighting effect. I’d use black PVC pipes to hide the socket assemblies.
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: If you had to build a chandelier. « Reply #8 on: November 21, 2022, 04:18:09 PM » Author: AngryHorse
If I had an Unlimited Budget, I would first replace every socket with Mogul size, Then, I would wire every socket to a 2kW Metal Halide Ballast and Ignitor. To top it off, a 2000w Osram MH Would go into each socket. Depending on how many sockets, this may or may not be able to light up a Bigger-Than-Average size Horse arena. It also may or may not cause the owner to go bankrupt (Cuz that gear and those lamps arent cheap lol)
;D That’s certainly ambitious!, the chandelier would have to be all crystal too take the immense heat, the whole structure would also have a simultaneous ignition voltage of about 250,000 volts!  :lol:, and it would end up being the only light fixtures in the world to be fed with 185mm 3 phase cable!  @-@

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies