Author Topic: Drain Fly Issue  (Read 938 times)
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Drain Fly Issue « on: November 24, 2022, 03:09:01 PM » Author: suzukir122
Although this is a bit embarrassing to admit, I must admit it in an effort to find solutions to this... everlasting dilemma.
I've got a drain fly issue. It's severe. It's been going on and fluctuating since mid to late 2021. My landlord and my maintenance guy
both know about it. The maintenance guy tried to solve the issue by replacing an old air conditioning unit that had been at this apartment
for many years, just under my living room window. The problem still continues in its usual severity despite this replacement.
I've brought up the idea to my landlord, of possibly transferring to a different apartment unit within the complex. My landlord claims that
I could do this before I sign my next lease... which is... on November 30th, if she finds a unit that isn't being used. She hasn't found one.
There are many other things I've done to try and get rid of the drain flies, and pest control has been through this unit dozens of times, and they
have been unsuccessful each and every time.
So my question is... what do I do? I have a very dangerous fear that I may have to fight these flies for another entire year. This situation
has brought me much, much further into my already severe depression. This has also obliterated my floating shelf idea for dozens of F30T12 fixtures
in my living room. That plan was suppose to represent major life changes, along with other potentially cool stuff involving me.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Drain Fly Issue « Reply #1 on: November 24, 2022, 06:37:35 PM » Author: sol
Sorry to hear that. I just did a quick Google search and found that you can pour boiling water down the affected drain a couple of times a week. Other methods require to put baking soda an vinegar down the affected drain. Both are low cost but require periodic treatment.
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Drain Fly Issue « Reply #2 on: November 24, 2022, 08:54:01 PM » Author: suzukir122
@Sol, unfortunately the boiling water, vinegar and baking soda plan is what I've used the most, and my former landlord also brought
those ideas up earlier in the year. I've tried all the drains in this apartment, which leads me to believe they're coming from somewhere else.
I've also caught them outside of the apartment from time to time, in my private patio.

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: Drain Fly Issue « Reply #3 on: November 24, 2022, 09:12:50 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
You could try pouring bleach down the affected drain(s).

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Drain Fly Issue « Reply #4 on: November 24, 2022, 09:19:31 PM » Author: sol
Hmmmm… would a UV fly trap with a pheromone glue pad work ?
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Drain Fly Issue « Reply #5 on: November 25, 2022, 12:34:22 AM » Author: suzukir122
@LightsoftheWest, I've tried that as well, since my former landlord also recommended me to pour bleach down the drains.
@sol, unfortunately the UV fly trap won't work. This situation is so bad that the living room window sill acts as a fly trap itself,
with hundreds and hundreds of dead drain flies piling up along it. And passed the window blinds, there were literally thousands of dead ones along
it. It looked terrible. The amount of stress that I get after cleaning all that up and watching them pile on my window sill once more...

And unfortunately my 4 Sadelite desk lamps that I use as up lighting in my living room, acts as fly traps as well. There are many dead drain flies
laying on each of my PL-L lamps.

Interests:

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Drain Fly Issue « Reply #6 on: December 18, 2022, 07:01:39 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Best I could suggest is always keep your drains covered. If there is an overflow port on the dink, cover it and be careful not to overfill it.

Administrator #5

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Drain Fly Issue « Reply #7 on: December 19, 2022, 07:25:45 AM » Author: suzukir122
Unfortunately I've done that as well... covering the drains since late 2021. That idea failed me as well.
Looks like I'll be moving. All lighting plans are currently at a complete stop.

Interests:

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Drain Fly Issue « Reply #8 on: December 19, 2022, 01:40:34 PM » Author: sol
Suzukir122, things happen for a reason. Don’t stop your lighting plans (or any plans) but merely put them on pause for the time being. When you get to your new place, re-evaluate and adjust them with an open mind and you might do something better that you never thought about. Meanwhile, keep your eyes open for different ideas and you just might be able to use one.

Take care and all the best !
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Drain Fly Issue « Reply #9 on: December 19, 2022, 03:20:55 PM » Author: suzukir122
@Sol, brotha man, thanks for the well wishes and positive advice. I really do appreciate it. With regarding my lighting plans, I made sure
to put the word "currently" before mentioning that my lighting plans have stopped. I've been a lighting enthusiast since I was born, pretty much,
so of course my lighting plans will continue going forward -- just in a different apartment unit within this complex, or at a different complex altogether.
So yep, my lighting plans are definitely on pause. This is temporary until I can get myself out of this apartment unit.

It's such a shame though... during the middle portion of 2021, my life was actually starting to pick up for the better, especially financially.
I've got remnants of that... sitting in my garage (under my three self ballasted PAR38 CMH's from GE.) That surprise is waiting to be shown
to family hopefully next year, if things are looking up for me. But right now I'm struggling financially and needing help from family. They know about
my situation as well.

Interests:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies