Author Topic: Odd way for a fluorescent tube to die!  (Read 3052 times)
dp
Odd way for a fluorescent tube to die! « on: November 21, 2006, 03:20:35 PM » Author: dp
Today while on the way home from work on the bus, a fluorescent fixture that illuminates the inside of the bus, had stopped working right above my head. It didn't just fail, however. It got very dull, and a dark space grew from one electrode right up to near the other end of the tube, with a tiny portion of one end of the tube, it isn't the heater as the dark space shinked for a little while, then back again, then the whole tube lit up, albeit dimly.

Then some striations appeared in the tube, but they were going really fast. Why did it do this? I know that tubes keep flickering because of a supply having undervoltage or a bad tube, but not like this!  :o
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 03:24:55 PM by I love SOX! » Logged
mr_big
Re: Odd way for a fluorescent tube to die! « Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 03:29:36 PM » Author: mr_big
Oh yeah, it was a T5 13w fixture, running on an inverter ballast from a 12v DC battery supply as it was a vehicle. During the period the light was on, the ends of the tube were very blackened, you can see the blackening and striations through the diffuser.
mr_big
Re: Odd way for a fluorescent tube to die! « Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 09:25:26 PM » Author: mr_big
That sounds like just a dying tube especially since it is DC my old RV when the fluorescent tubes went bad they did the same thing
don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Odd way for a fluorescent tube to die! « Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 09:54:12 PM » Author: don93s
I wonder if it's one of those "cold cathode" fixtures. I've never seen cold cathode burn out...seems interesting.  If both ends were blackened, my guess is that the inverter converts the DC to AC. I've got to get an inverter one of these days.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies