Author Topic: NYT Articles - Sale of Westinghouse Divisions to Philips & Cooper Industries  (Read 508 times)
BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

NYT Articles - Sale of Westinghouse Divisions to Philips & Cooper Industries « on: March 05, 2023, 09:54:28 PM » Author: BT25
Thought that some members might like to look at these archived articles from 1982. Looks like both divisions were sold around the same time. (I'd always heard that the lamp division was sold in 1983...that appears to be incorrect.)
Sale of Westinghouse Lamp Divisions to Philips
Sale of Westinghouse Luminaire Division to Cooper

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account shows unnecessary spending? ::)
Have an empty wallet?  :lol:

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: NYT Articles - Sale of Westinghouse Divisions to Philips & Cooper Industries « Reply #1 on: March 06, 2023, 02:47:06 AM » Author: Econolite03
Thanks for sharing.

In regards to their lamp division… it was tragic for Westinghouse, but was a excellent opportunity for Philips. After all, Philips in the US didn’t really get anywhere in lighting under Norelco, so the only way they could grow was to buy out their competitors (i.e. Verd-A-Ray, Lustra, Westinghouse, etc.) from my understanding. Imagine had they not?
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: NYT Articles - Sale of Westinghouse Divisions to Philips & Cooper Industries « Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 09:36:34 AM » Author: Silverliner
Actually, the Westinghouse Lamp division was supposed to be sold in late 1982, but was delayed until February 1983 due to antitrust concerns. Here's the article.

Long link edited as requested, Dave  :lol:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 10:40:29 AM by Rommie » Logged

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies