Author Topic: Success With My Thorn 200W SLI/H HO Lamp  (Read 2497 times)
Bush DAC90A

View Posts
View Gallery
What Goes Up Must Come Down

Success With My Thorn 200W SLI/H HO Lamp « on: January 26, 2023, 01:22:49 PM » Author: Bush DAC90A
HI Purchased a 1970s GEC Z1633P 135W/180W Leak Transformer to power my Philips 135W SOX lamp as I ordered a 175W CWA Autotransformer for my 200W SLI/H HO lamp from the US ( been lost in transit and got refund ) so I put the SLI/H lamp on the back burner. Did not have a 15UF Capacitor suitable for the Leak Transformer I used a 12UF instead and powered up the 135W sox for the first time and it Voltage and Current were spot on while I was waiting to get the lamp to full brightness I decided to get the SLI/H HO Lamp out and try that on the GEC Z1633P and was a very faint purple glow but it would not start up so I tried a 20UF Capacitor and it started up the voltage is 147 ( about right )  and the currant is 1.1 A ( bit low ) ran it up to full brightness and voltage and currant did not budge . Left it on for 3hours the Lamp is ok no flickering a the electrodes look ok and the leak Transformer did not get warm . As I am going to display this at  a steam rally and it is not going to be lit for 8 hours a time it should be OK ? kind regards
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Success With My Thorn 200W SLI/H HO Lamp « Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 12:00:25 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
In that case, you used the 135w/180w SOX low pressure sodium HX autotransformer ballast with a series capacitor to run your 200w SLI/H low pressure sodium lamp?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Bush DAC90A

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Success With My Thorn 200W SLI/H HO Lamp « Reply #2 on: January 29, 2023, 10:19:38 AM » Author: Bush DAC90A
Hi yes I did it is a 1970s GEC 130/180W Leak transformer kind regards
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Success With My Thorn 200W SLI/H HO Lamp « Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 05:48:39 AM » Author: dor123
Is the Thorn 200W SLI/H HO lamp intended to be started with cold cathodes (Like SOX lamps)?

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Bush DAC90A

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Success With My Thorn 200W SLI/H HO Lamp « Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 11:42:31 AM » Author: Bush DAC90A
Hi yes it is the same as SOX other types and makes of SLI/H Linear sodium lamps work on a glow starting circuit  kind regards Bob
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Success With My Thorn 200W SLI/H HO Lamp « Reply #5 on: January 30, 2023, 12:38:12 PM » Author: Rommie
In that case, you used the 135w/180w SOX low pressure sodium HX autotransformer ballast with a series capacitor to run your 200w SLI/H low pressure sodium lamp?
I have one of these ballasts, it has dedicated terminals for the capacitor, I am not sure how it is wired internally, but see here.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Bush DAC90A

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Success With My Thorn 200W SLI/H HO Lamp « Reply #6 on: January 30, 2023, 12:57:59 PM » Author: Bush DAC90A
Hi Ria that Autotransformer is in good condition and you are right its very heavy  I don't know as well how the capacitor is wired internally as it acts as a power factor capacitor as well as a ignitor kind regards Bob
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Success With My Thorn 200W SLI/H HO Lamp « Reply #7 on: January 30, 2023, 02:01:23 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Hi yes it is the same as SOX other types and makes of SLI/H Linear sodium lamps work on a glow starting circuit  kind regards Bob

Because Thorn’s 200w SLI/H low pressure sodium lamps have beehive electrodes, they cannot start with an ordinary glowstarter. However, most SLI/H low pressure sodium lamps have fluorescent style electrodes, which make them compatible with glowbottle starters.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Bush DAC90A

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Success With My Thorn 200W SLI/H HO Lamp « Reply #8 on: January 30, 2023, 02:13:47 PM » Author: Bush DAC90A
Hi yes you are correct you are lucky been in the USA as a 175W CWA Autotransformer is an excellent  choice for the Thorn 200W SLI/H HO lamp kind regards Bob
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Success With My Thorn 200W SLI/H HO Lamp « Reply #9 on: January 30, 2023, 02:37:29 PM » Author: Rommie
That's what I use. running from a 120V 60Hz inverter.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Success With My Thorn 200W SLI/H HO Lamp « Reply #10 on: January 30, 2023, 02:57:52 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Hi yes you are correct you are lucky been in the USA as a 175W CWA Autotransformer is an excellent  choice for the Thorn 200W SLI/H HO lamp kind regards Bob

To use a CWA ballast without an ignitor, you would need to use a 175w M57 probe start metal halide ballast because they  have a higher OCV compared to 175w H39 mercury vapor CWA ballasts. If a 175w H39 mercury vapor CWA ballast was to be used with a Thorn 200w SLI/H HO low pressure sodium lamp, you will probably need to get a 90w SOX low pressure sodium ignitor and have it wired in parallel with the lamp, but use an incandescent lamp or resistor in series with the ignitor to keep it safe from excessive current. However, 175w H39 mercury vapor ballasts are not recommended as they have been banned in the USA since 2008.

Bush DAC90A

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Success With My Thorn 200W SLI/H HO Lamp « Reply #11 on: January 30, 2023, 03:12:31 PM » Author: Bush DAC90A
Why were the 175W H39  mercury vapour ballasts banned ? kind regards Bob
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Success With My Thorn 200W SLI/H HO Lamp « Reply #12 on: January 30, 2023, 03:14:22 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
This ban actually applies to all mercury vapor ballasts in the USA. They were banned as a result of an “energy efficiency” initiative as far as I know.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Success With My Thorn 200W SLI/H HO Lamp « Reply #13 on: January 30, 2023, 03:21:51 PM » Author: Rommie
We ban because we can...

Bush DAC90A

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Success With My Thorn 200W SLI/H HO Lamp « Reply #14 on: January 30, 2023, 03:22:29 PM » Author: Bush DAC90A
Hi in the UK Mercury Vapour lamps were changed here in the UK to Sox lamps in the 1970s energy crisis but some Mercury  vapour lamps were still used in the 1990s in some parts of the UK kind regards Bob 
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies