Author Topic: Reduction of Charging Current  (Read 658 times)
merc

View Posts
View Gallery

Adam

GoL
Reduction of Charging Current « on: February 10, 2023, 03:48:03 PM » Author: merc
STREND PRO BGD02-Z4.0A-P1 is designed for recharging 5 - 120 Ah batteries and I'd like to use it also for CSB EVX 1272 F2 - which is AGM (OK), 7.2 Ah (in the range) but its Recommended Maximum Charging current limit is 2.16A only.
Does it make sense to try halving the charging current using a resistor in series? I'm afraid the higher resistance might confuse the recharger and cause under/over charging in the end. So is it a good idea or a bad one? Any other solution? I've got only one battery of this type and it's not used every day so I don't want to buy an extra recharger for it.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Reduction of Charging Current « Reply #1 on: February 10, 2023, 05:20:31 PM » Author: Medved
I don't think you need anything. The battery will stop drawing current by itself, provided it won't exceed the voltage.
The only problem with too high currents would be creating too much heat, but there we would be talking about 40A or higher...

No more selfballasted c***

merc

View Posts
View Gallery

Adam

GoL
Re: Reduction of Charging Current « Reply #2 on: February 10, 2023, 05:46:58 PM » Author: merc
OK, thanks. I haven't noticed any overheating - actually the temperature increase is hardly noticeable when touching it, could be like 1°C or 2°C during the whole process. I don't know what the 'Float Charging Voltage' and 'Equalization and Cycle Service' exactly mean but the displayed voltage is around 14V before the charging stops.
I thought that exceeding 'Recommended Maximum Charging Current' by almost two could significantly reduce the number of cycles (battery life).
marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Reduction of Charging Current « Reply #3 on: February 23, 2023, 06:37:31 PM » Author: marcopete87
STREND PRO  is designed for recharging 5 - 120 Ah batteries and I'd like to use it also for - which is AGM (OK), 7.2 Ah (in the range) but its Recommended Maximum Charging current limit is 2.16A only.

Hi, lead acid batteries are charged in constant voltage mode, so current will limit itself un to C/10 (700mA for a 7Ah battery) and they will charge in 10h.
Max raccomemded charging current is when you use different method of charging.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies