Author Topic: Lights flickering when neighbors AC turning on?  (Read 819 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Lights flickering when neighbors AC turning on? « on: April 03, 2023, 11:56:46 PM » Author: Cole D.
I notice when I hear the neighbor next door central AC turn on, that the lights in here flicker.

Have anyone noticed this? I’ve noticed it when own system in house turns on but not the neighbors. I guess it’s because it’s a shared transformer on the pole.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Lights flickering when neighbors AC turning on? « Reply #1 on: April 04, 2023, 07:49:41 AM » Author: rjluna2
I noticed the lights flickers when my Xerox Phaser 6510 printer is on.  Sometimes my own furnace runs and do flickers at my bathroom lights as well.  By the way, most of my lights are LEDs.

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Lights flickering when neighbors AC turning on? « Reply #2 on: April 04, 2023, 11:37:46 PM » Author: Cole D.
Probably due to the power draw I’m guessing. And I should put the lights dim for a second, rather than flicker.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lights flickering when neighbors AC turning on? « Reply #3 on: April 05, 2023, 01:37:13 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Those are high power draw machines. Very normal.

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lights flickering when neighbors AC turning on? « Reply #4 on: April 05, 2023, 03:08:59 AM » Author: Medved
It is more the inrush current than the high power itself. Coming from the starting heavy motors or cold filament of the fuser tungsten halogen heater in the laser printer or copier.

I remember when using wood chipper, when loading a heavier stick into it (even when already running) the load surge caused so much ripple the old RVLX80 lantern that happened to be connected on the same phase just extinguished. Newer Sylvania (European SLI) held the arc way better...

No more selfballasted c***

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Lights flickering when neighbors AC turning on? « Reply #5 on: April 05, 2023, 04:13:52 AM » Author: RRK
A few times more pronounced on the incandescent lighting that on LEDs or fluorescents by the way.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Lights flickering when neighbors AC turning on? « Reply #6 on: April 05, 2023, 04:33:43 AM » Author: dor123
@RRK: The LED lamps at the US and Canada, flickering much more pronounced in your country, because the Americans have 120V mains voltage and the fact that their LED lamps voltage range, are the same as your LED lamps (100-240V), so in the case of mains voltage fluctuations, it would drops below 90V, and the LEDs would turn off and back on.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 04:40:59 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies