Author Topic: Why are LEDs now beginning to replace almost all kinds of light sources?  (Read 1423 times)
bulb_tester2009

View Posts
View Gallery

Resolutely crack down on inferior LED lighting!!

GoL
Why are LEDs now beginning to replace almost all kinds of light sources? « on: October 31, 2022, 02:49:57 AM » Author: bulb_tester2009
In fact, the quality of some traditional light sources is obviously better than LED, but why do lamp manufacturers and lamp users always choose LED as a light source in various fields? Just to unify the light source? Or do you think traditional lamps are not worth it? This makes me not like some high-performance gas discharge lamps replaced by LEDs, and I also hate that some triphosphor tubes are replaced by inferior LED tubes with strange colors.

I've been collecting light bulbs since I was 2 years old and I've been collecting them ever since.
 :hps::hps::hps:
由于我来自中国,所以英语不精通,大部分内容都是翻译的,所以可能不通顺,请大家谅解
Note:
Bulb base in China:E12(CES) E14(SES) B22d(BC) E27(ES) E40(GES)

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Why are LEDs now beginning to replace almost all kinds of light sources? « Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 03:37:34 AM » Author: dor123
People thinks that LED is the most energy efficient light source and putting them while ignoring their real lumen efficacy, light quality, lumens and brilliance compared to old light sources.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why are LEDs now beginning to replace almost all kinds of light sources? « Reply #2 on: October 31, 2022, 10:30:56 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
the majority of people simply do not care about the pleasing aspects of traditional lamps and just want something they can purchase right now. 

You have to remember that only a select few of us really pay any attention to the fine details of lighting.  It really doesn't matter to most people and they would find it very annoying if we tried to explain why they should or should not care about something regarding lighting.  As long as it doesn't bother them, they are happy with it. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Why are LEDs now beginning to replace almost all kinds of light sources? « Reply #3 on: November 01, 2022, 04:56:29 AM » Author: AngryHorse
The unfortunate thing is, LED lighting IS actually better than traditional lighting today, there’s no longer such thing sadly as “a high performance discharge lamp”!, when semiconductor technology now beats them on efficiency and simplicity! even in your humble household light bulb.
The only thing that isn’t catching up as quickly is their reliability, but from what I see every day, this is indeed improving.
Last night I came home from work at 5, and due to the clocks going back in the UK, it was the first time I’ve seen the new 3000K LED street lighting that was fitted a few months ago lit!

I have to say, the remaining HPS lamp dotted about can’t hold a candle to them!, the crisp sharp light from the 3000K diodes looks so much better on the road and surrounding foliage than the muted soft golden glow from the HPS, even the glare has now been eliminated with the new Thorn Isaro Pros.

I also saw in a different place, (some 50 odd miles away from where I work), while coming back from a Halloween Scarefest, mercury free HPS in operation, and they look just awful with their hideous sickly yellow colour!  :sick:
But it is correct that the average ‘Joe’ doesn’t care about any of this as much as lighting enthusiasts do?

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

bulb_tester2009

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Why are LEDs now beginning to replace almost all kinds of light sources? « Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 01:28:37 AM » Author: bulb_tester2009
The unfortunate thing is, LED lighting IS actually better than traditional lighting today, there’s no longer such thing sadly as “a high performance discharge lamp”!, when semiconductor technology now beats them on efficiency and simplicity! even in your humble household light bulb.
The only thing that isn’t catching up as quickly is their reliability, but from what I see every day, this is indeed improving.
Last night I came home from work at 5, and due to the clocks going back in the UK, it was the first time I’ve seen the new 3000K LED street lighting that was fitted a few months ago lit!

I have to say, the remaining HPS lamp dotted about can’t hold a candle to them!, the crisp sharp light from the 3000K diodes looks so much better on the road and surrounding foliage than the muted soft golden glow from the HPS, even the glare has now been eliminated with the new Thorn Isaro Pros.

I also saw in a different place, (some 50 odd miles away from where I work), while coming back from a Halloween Scarefest, mercury free HPS in operation, and they look just awful with their hideous sickly yellow colour!  :sick:
But it is correct that the average ‘Joe’ doesn’t care about any of this as much as lighting enthusiasts do?
Although many gas discharge lamps are not comparable to LEDs. But for example, ceramic metal halide lamps, its light efficiency far exceeds LED, life is similar to LED, but unfortunately their price is very expensive, which leads to most people now rotating cheaper LEDs and sacrificing part of the experience. Because they are not sensitive to these parameters at all, traditional luminaires are abandoned.

I've been collecting light bulbs since I was 2 years old and I've been collecting them ever since.
Note:

bulb_tester2009

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Why are LEDs now beginning to replace almost all kinds of light sources? « Reply #5 on: November 02, 2022, 01:29:37 AM » Author: bulb_tester2009
the majority of people simply do not care about the pleasing aspects of traditional lamps and just want something they can purchase right now. 

You have to remember that only a select few of us really pay any attention to the fine details of lighting.  It really doesn't matter to most people and they would find it very annoying if we tried to explain why they should or should not care about something regarding lighting.  As long as it doesn't bother them, they are happy with it.
So that's why most people are disgusted with us (even if we're right).

Note:

bulb_tester2009

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Why are LEDs now beginning to replace almost all kinds of light sources? « Reply #6 on: November 02, 2022, 01:32:52 AM » Author: bulb_tester2009
People thinks that LED is the most energy efficient light source and putting them while ignoring their real lumen efficacy, light quality, lumens and brilliance compared to old light sources.
In order to meet both energy saving and low prices, many people buy inferior LED light sources, which have poor stability, low light efficiency, and very strange colors. So I hate to see inferior LEDs.

Note:

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Why are LEDs now beginning to replace almost all kinds of light sources? « Reply #7 on: November 02, 2022, 09:23:44 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
LEDs are marketed as this lamp or fixture will save you money on energy, then in some cases there's incentives or rebates (sometimes from the power company) if you buy them..and they come on full brightness instantly.
Its basically all in the marketing. Really why would you not buy them when they are "better" and save you money?  (think of it from an average-person view there "a lightbulb is just a lightbulb"

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

kai

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why are LEDs now beginning to replace almost all kinds of light sources? « Reply #8 on: March 03, 2023, 02:55:02 PM » Author: kai

After a recent evening walk (I should really revive this old behaviour) I'm now compiling a series of "before and after" comparisons for one-after-one release. You can be curious, or perhaps not...

When did I post such a rant here? Almost 12 years ago...
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies