Author Topic: Ken-Rad question  (Read 1650 times)
enginenut

View Posts
View Gallery

Enginenut5
Ken-Rad question « on: February 28, 2023, 04:56:10 PM » Author: enginenut
Hey Gurus out there, just had to lay one of my old Ken-Rads to rest today :'(, and it got me to perusing the Net concerning the Ken-Rad history. Per Wikipedia, Kentucky Radio Corp. (eventually Ken-Rad in/around 1922), sold off their lighting division of the company in 1943 to Westinghouse. From earlier readings, I understand fluorescents as we know them were generally introduced in the late 30's. That seems to say that Ken-Rad likely manufactured their tubes under their moniker for about 5 years prior to the sale to Westinghouse. Anyone know if this sounds correct and making genuine K/R tubes a MINIMUM of 80 years old???  :wndr: 

Old vehicles, old electro-mechanical anything, vintage lighting, electrical & traffic controls

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Ken-Rad question « Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 09:09:25 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 I'm not sure . I do know that Ken-Rad sold HID lamps into atleast the 60's .

Hopefully , someone else can chime in with more details !!

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Ken-Rad question « Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 03:08:45 AM » Author: Silverliner
James would be able to answer your question as he is a professional lamp engineer. He is an active member here. If he doesn’t reply you can shoot him a PM.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

enginenut

View Posts
View Gallery

Enginenut5
Re: Ken-Rad question « Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 11:26:01 PM » Author: enginenut
Appreciate it, Silverliner. :) Replacing a deceased Ken-Rad tube recently caused me to go Hummm :wndr: whilst digging a new Ken-Rad out of the remnants of a case I still have of F40CWs. I know these came from the LADWP back in the late 50's during my dads 35yr tenure there. Got curious to how old these may actually be since the buildings using these were well before 1939.

Old vehicles, old electro-mechanical anything, vintage lighting, electrical & traffic controls

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Ken-Rad question « Reply #4 on: March 17, 2023, 03:11:16 AM » Author: Silverliner
Oh you’re local? I’m in Southern California. I have an ex LADWP series incandescent street light made by Reflect O Lite based in Glendale, CA. Classics that I miss seeing in LA, all the ones on the DWP poles disappeared :( They were plentiful as recent as 15-20 years ago.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

enginenut

View Posts
View Gallery

Enginenut5
Re: Ken-Rad question « Reply #5 on: March 17, 2023, 12:03:17 PM » Author: enginenut
Yeah, born in San Fernando, raised in Van Nuys, currently in the Mother Lode. Sounds like the light you have may be the same breed we had in front of the Van Nuys house back in the 50s thru the 70s. Long, pole mount arm to reach close to the center of the street. Egg shaped luminaire. It and the rest came down around 1980 when the street was widened to 4 lanes and stand alone ornamental fixtures were installed. I may have a pic that shows it somewhere in my files.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies