Author Topic: Mercury Vapors to HPS  (Read 2229 times)
M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
Mercury Vapors to HPS « on: June 30, 2015, 07:15:20 PM » Author: M250R201SA
The town I live in, Eldorado, IL, in 2005-2006 had a majority Mercury Vapor light content.  :mv:  When a bulb would go out, the Ameren technician would simply replace the bulb.  As of 2008-2013, the technician would either replace the bulb (if he had any on the truck) or replace the whole assembly with a GE 201SA model 100 watt fixture.  It was not very often that the technician had MV lamps on the truck.  In the present, there are more GE 201SA 100W HPS Fixtures in my town than anything.  On the main roads and highways, they use the GE M250R2 fixture with 250 watt HPS.  My town has not advanced to LED (and I hope they don't).  There is one GE 201SA 250 Watt MV Lamp  :mv: in the alley behind my house, and when it starts up, it flickers a couple of times while simultaneously buzzing very very loudly, and will then ignite with a constant loud buzzing.  This fixture has not been replaced because the person paying for the light has not called and requested it to be changed (Kudos to that customer).  However, I am sure that when the bulb eventually fails, They will not give the customer a choice, and will simply replace it with a new GE 201SA 100w sodium light.   :hps:

"I know a thing or two about a thing or two...  I sure do."

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: Mercury Vapors to HPS « Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 07:35:09 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I have seen my city has lots of merc fixtures up and running and they get relamped so that's nice. The only time a fixture is replaced is if the ballast dies or the pole gets taken out by a car.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Mercury Vapors to HPS « Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 10:27:17 PM » Author: nicksfans
There are still tons of MVs here but the POCO recently decided to stop servicing them and replace them with AEL Autobahn LEDs as they fail. I kinda wish I had a nice MV cobrahead leased from the POCO so I could continue to service it myself and help keep MV alive.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury Vapors to HPS « Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 11:33:02 PM » Author: Solanaceae
Try emailing or calling them. You could explain that you are a collector and maybe then they'll give you something. I have tried asking for a 175w NEMA bucket but none are available; they're all in service, which is a good thing.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury Vapors to HPS « Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 01:31:07 AM » Author: Ash
HPS is a good thing as it is not LED

Rather then call, i think it would be better to make contact straight with the workers or walk to the depot if its nearby
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury Vapors to HPS « Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 01:40:08 AM » Author: Solanaceae
The thing I hate about HPS is its poor color rendering.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury Vapors to HPS « Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 02:51:49 AM » Author: Ash
YTu can as well hate clear MV for that....

Their yellow light may be not suitable for everywhere, MV looks nicer in many places, but they are as good HID lamp as all the other HID
nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Mercury Vapors to HPS « Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 02:54:13 AM » Author: nicksfans
They definitely penetrate rain and fog very well, and I actually like the orange color. That being said, I also like the classic bluish-green of clear MV lamps.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury Vapors to HPS « Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 02:56:18 AM » Author: Solanaceae
I like the color of a worn, well used clear merc. I also like the new HPS lampz when they still have a pinkish tinge to their color.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Mercury Vapors to HPS « Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 03:15:42 AM » Author: dor123
New HPS lamps, have a pure golden orange color without any pink tinge. As the lamp ages, it begin to recive a pinkish or reddish tinge. This isn't occurs with low mercury lamps (High xenon pressure HPS lamps, which often have low mercury dose, retains their golden orange color until EOL).

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Lanternbro

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury Vapors to HPS « Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 03:38:20 PM » Author: Lanternbro
I like the new CMH lamps, they provide good mesopic vision at low cost.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies