Author Topic: fluorescent tube guards that block UVC radiation?  (Read 746 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
fluorescent tube guards that block UVC radiation? « on: April 11, 2023, 06:31:32 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
As I am looking for ways to safely run germicidal T8 low pressure mercury vapor lamps, I am beginning to wonder if any UV blocking fluorescent tube guards are able to block UVC radiation.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: fluorescent tube guards that block UVC radiation? « Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 06:36:39 PM » Author: Rommie
Good old fashioned window glass works, just run it the other side of a window..! Not sure if there are any specific items designed for it though, it would defeat the purpose of germicidal lamps.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: fluorescent tube guards that block UVC radiation? « Reply #2 on: April 11, 2023, 06:40:27 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Like what about these plastic tube covers?:

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/245/PLAS-T8TGUV.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwitShBhA6EiwAq3RqA4Lufoul-sEMTCsdWU2QDNNB3IHnBNuFI4gFGPzwBgYyWkTezUmHQBoCjsUQAvD_BwE

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: fluorescent tube guards that block UVC radiation? « Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 06:41:28 PM » Author: Rommie
That might work, only one way to find out..!

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: fluorescent tube guards that block UVC radiation? « Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 06:43:15 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Asking about these so that I can use TUV tubes safely so that I can have the effect of clear low pressure mercury tubes operating in fluorescent fixtures.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: fluorescent tube guards that block UVC radiation? « Reply #5 on: April 11, 2023, 06:54:02 PM » Author: Rommie
I thought that's what you wanted to do, but given that radiating UVC is the whole point of a germicidal lamp, I wasn't sure if there was a way around it, other than to view it through a window. For our small Philips TUV6 lamp, we just put a large beer glass over it.

Alex

View Posts
View Gallery

feel free to ask questions

Re: fluorescent tube guards that block UVC radiation? « Reply #6 on: April 12, 2023, 12:10:36 PM » Author: Alex
WWHIDUSA,
you may use borosilicate glas tubes which you can put over the tubes. However using plastic covers, will in my opinion likely lead to plastic decomposition.

Best regards,

Alex

Glück auf ⚒️

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: fluorescent tube guards that block UVC radiation? « Reply #7 on: April 12, 2023, 01:06:47 PM » Author: RRK
Nice Philips lamp! One of its uses is to check phosphor colors in neon tube making. Being cold cathode it does not mind short cycles.
RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: fluorescent tube guards that block UVC radiation? « Reply #8 on: April 12, 2023, 01:12:54 PM » Author: RRK
Polycarbonate is known to block almost all UV light, one of the reasons it is used in sunglasses. So a polycarbonate tube may work. Though, it may quickly yellow with such a powerful UVC source. I'd check that no UVC is left with some lamp phosphor, for example from a broken fluorescent tube.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies