Author Topic: Light socket types around the world  (Read 1740 times)
BG101

View Posts
View Gallery

EYE H80 Mercury Vapour

Brian TheTellyman
Light socket types around the world « on: January 02, 2013, 04:17:00 PM » Author: BG101
I've been looking for a definitive list on the types of lampholders in common use throughout the world, such as those that exist for power outlets. However I have so far had no success so thought I'd compile my own.

In the UK the BC socket was prevalent and almost universal until about 20 years ago, when ES fittings started to become more common, first for lamps (the likes of IKEA were the first and soon followed by other lighting retailers) and then for fixed and designer pendant ceiling lights. The ceiling lights available in most DIY lighting retailers now often come with E27 for GLS and E14 (SES) for candle or similar lamps, wall lights tend to be B22d or E14. Pendant sets are still almost universally B22d; the exceptions being BC-3 for energy-saving lamps in some new builds and dedicated sockets for PL lamps. I haven't seen fittings sold with B15d (SBC) lampholders for some time although these used to be common.

ES sockets are now readily available in many designs, I have some very high quality British-made plated steel lampholders which look like they'll last a lifetime so there is definitely a market for them here. However, in the late 1980s, I struggled to find ES lampholders!

In Kenya most fittings are B22d but in one of the parks/reserves I visited close to where I was living (Bomas of Kenya, on the outskirts of Nairobi not far from Mombasa Road, on the spur from the large Nakumatt Supermarket (and K2 nightclub which I also visited most nights!)) the outdoor table canopies had ES (E27) fittings for which the bulbs were brought out and fitted when the tables were in use! (Presumably to discourage theft).

In Madeira, the standard seemed to be the usual E27 except for outdoor light strings which were (seemingly non-weatherproofed) B22d lampholders fitted with 25W standard GLS shape coloured bulbs.

Everywhere else in Europe the lampholders seem to be mostly E27 of various designs.

Apparently BC (B22d) was common in France at one time, I was actually surprised to see them in common use in other countries though!

I'd love to know the current and past trends in lampholders in use in various countries throughout the world so I can compile some sort of historical chart.

BG

Say NO to DICTATORSHIP in the form of bulb/tube/ballast bans !!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Light socket types around the world « Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 12:08:19 PM » Author: Ash
In Israel the sockets were E27 for many years, i think since the beginning of the electrical grid here in 1922. Large lamps (most HID) are E40 but in the last 2-3 decades E39 (USA size) MH lamps appeared too, candle lamps are E14

Some switches for water heaters etc contain a small Ne indicator lamp. In the 70s and earlier, the lamp was not hard wired in the switch but there was a replacable E10 bulb (looks like a flashlight bulb, with resistor in the base) screwed in E10 socket getting 240V. In the 80s this was abandoned and switches made with hardwied Ne lamp inside them

I never seen BC lamps or fluorescents here

The earliest fluorescent fixtures i seen are from the 50s. They mostly used sockets imported from the USA, mostly Y slot, some insert/turn

Then in the 60s we had our own spring loaded assymetrical sockets - Examples : 1 2 3

Then in the 70s a spring loaded insert/turn socket - The lamp is inserted like in any insert/turn socket, but a spring loaded center part pops out to additionally press against the lamp when in the locked position - This. This socket was common in the higher grade fixtures, often along with Perfect Start ballasts. Those sockets use the same hole size and spacing in the fixture as the assymetric spring loaded. A less common "slim" (the same size as the USA ones), without the spring loaded feature, existed too

In the 70s we also had a Gec Europa clone made by Gaash, that used the same UK style spring loaded sockets. It existed along with the fixture types mentioned above

In the 80s the cheap plastic (push in on clips, like BJB) sockets appeared and phased out the rest. Thats also what we have today

Besides all them, we have the Recessed Bi Pin sockets for 110W HO 8ft USA lamps - This, and i seen a couple slimline sockets as well (very rare)

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Light socket types around the world « Reply #2 on: March 08, 2023, 01:53:42 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
In Japan, they have E26 lampholders and bulbs and E39 lampholders and bulbs just like North America has. Interestingly, Mexico uses both European standard and North American screw bases too.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies