Author Topic: Testin plastic products resistance against sun  (Read 770 times)
Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Testin plastic products resistance against sun « on: September 15, 2023, 03:31:02 PM » Author: Jovan
Hello to everyone.I need your advice.My friend wants to make an artifical sun lightbox which will be used to see how resistive are plastic products against UV.What kind of lamps should be used and how many to replicate sitting at the sunny day for a longe period of time,like one month?
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Testin plastic products resistance against sun « Reply #1 on: September 16, 2023, 01:19:06 PM » Author: Medved
Does he need the test to be accelerated (ie a month in the box is supposed to simulate year of real life or longer, so the intensity to be significantly greater than the natural sunlight)?
If not, just put the thing outside on the sun...

No more selfballasted c***

Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Testin plastic products resistance against sun « Reply #2 on: September 16, 2023, 02:04:22 PM » Author: Jovan
Yes.He wants acelerated test.
Andy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Testin plastic products resistance against sun « Reply #3 on: September 16, 2023, 03:47:49 PM » Author: Andy
I would have thought a simple and easy way would be to use a mercury lamp with the outer envelope broken.
This will kick out a lot of UV and the effects should be apparent in a relatively short period of time.

I'm always interested in exchanging lamps with others. Send me a message if you would be interested in a trade. :)

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Testin plastic products resistance against sun « Reply #4 on: September 16, 2023, 04:53:48 PM » Author: James
The necessary lamp spectra, design of the test chamber and acceleration factors are detailed in the standard ASTM G154 - see https://www.astm.org/g0154-23.html .  The 311nm lamps are often the most practical.  Those sell for horrendous prices if purchased as materials testing lamps - but the same phosphor is used in the better quality reptile lamps mixed with daylight 965 triphosphors.  By using larger quantities of those or at shorter distance to raise the irradiance to the same levels as the lamps without white light, the same effects can be attained.
Bottled lightning

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Testin plastic products resistance against sun « Reply #5 on: October 24, 2023, 12:04:58 AM » Author: Bottled lightning
James, could you look at this (somewhat related) thread,  https://www.lighting-gallery.net/index.php?topic=15687
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies