Author Topic: Favorite subway/rapid transit car(s)?  (Read 559 times)
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex - a fan of Jefferson Electric ballasts

GoL UCwvPaxz1-rbLAjLpk55zl1A
Favorite subway/rapid transit car(s)? « on: December 11, 2023, 11:56:10 AM » Author: HIDLad001
My personal favorites have to be the A division New Technology Trains on the NYC subway (R142, R142A, and R188, built by Bombardier and Kawasaki respectively) because of the design with the red accents and the awesome-sounding propulsion systems.

Does anybody else have a favorite subway/rapid transit car, or is it just me?

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it
HID Fixtures should stay HID, but I think LED is fine too.
Any new photos are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35!
Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.
-Using Lighting-Gallery since 2022-

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Favorite subway/rapid transit car(s)? « Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 07:14:10 PM » Author: joseph_125
I think most of mine are the now decommissioned rolling stock that the TTC in Toronto used.

Each subclass of the old Hawker Siddeley H series trains was a bit unique, the earlier ones used resistors that were switched in and out of circuit as the train accelerated or braked or from series to parallel while the later H series trains used GTO DC propulsion which made a pretty characteristic sound.

The UTDC ICTS cars that were withdrawn this summer had the most unique propulsion. Detroit and Vancouver still run them. They used GTO inverter LIM propulsion. Unfortunately the tech didn't work that well in the Toronto system.

In terms of trains still in service, the Bombardier T1 are pretty neat, they use AEG-Westinghouse GTO AC inverter propulsion and has a pretty unique acceleration and braking sound.
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Favorite subway/rapid transit car(s)? « Reply #2 on: December 13, 2023, 08:57:45 AM » Author: HIDLad001
I think the ICTS stock is cool too, and I like the design of the T1s. They seem to have similar propulsion to the R110A (Which was build by ADtranz, but isn't the T1's propulsion made by ADtranz, the successor to AEG/Westinghouse and ABB?).

Another one I forgot to mention that I like is the now-retired Washington Metro 1000 series built by Rohr. They had GE GTO propulsion I believe (similar to the R110B and identical to the Breda A650 in LA).

Local power is 120/240VAC 60Hz, TV is NTSC 480i 59.94, DTV is ATSC 1.0 and simulcast ATSC 3.0.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Favorite subway/rapid transit car(s)? « Reply #3 on: December 13, 2023, 07:46:09 PM » Author: joseph_125
I wonder too, the T1 inverter tray I saw opened up had AEG labels on some of the components inside, maybe some of the newer T1s had ADTranz propulsion inside. The last T1s were produced in the 2000s. Interestingly, the TTC also had a IGBT retrofitted inverter tray for the T1, the original inverter tray used GTO.

The T1's design language was strongly influenced by that of the H series, Bombardier Transportation (now Alstom) was the successor to Hawker Sideley. The platform that all those models were based on was known as the RTC-75. Interestingly Montreal's long removed 1960s Expo Express and Ankara's Metro also used RTC-75 derived rolling stock at one point. Ankara's rolling stock was built around the same time as the T1 but resembled the H6 more than the T1.
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Favorite subway/rapid transit car(s)? « Reply #4 on: December 13, 2023, 07:52:34 PM » Author: HIDLad001
Very cool! Do you have any photos of the GTO or IGBT inverter trays?
I believe the Ankara Metro H6 had only one window on the front for the driver's cab.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Favorite subway/rapid transit car(s)? « Reply #5 on: December 17, 2023, 12:55:03 PM » Author: joseph_125
I do, I posted a few pictures of the inverter trays as well as the Westinghouse camshaft propulsion used on the Hawker H4.
HIDLad001

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Favorite subway/rapid transit car(s)? « Reply #6 on: December 19, 2023, 05:40:20 PM » Author: HIDLad001
Wow thanks! There is not much information about these things on the internet for some reason.
I assume the cam control works very similar to a timer in an old washing machine, because it looks very similar (just much bigger).

How many of these inverters (or cam controllers) are in each train car? Is there one for each motor?

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies