Author Topic: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future  (Read 4080 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « on: March 20, 2023, 04:56:05 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
It seems like in a matter of a few years, Canada will enact a ban on HID lighting and fluorescent lighting:

https://www.lightnowblog.com/2023/01/canada-proposing-to-ban-hid-lamps-in-addition-to-fluorescent/

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 04:56:18 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 Even once the "ban" takes place , you can still use what you have and dealers can still sell their remaining stock for 2 yrs. after it takes effect .  Plus, It only says lamps , NOT fixtures , ballasts , etc.  So , if you own a parking lot with 50 HID lights in it , go buy yourself a few cases of lamps and some replacement ballasts and your good for a long while !

Plus , I highly doubt they'll stop places like eBay , Scamazon , Restore ,etc from selling what they have .

MV was "banned" in 2008 , look how much of it is still around in "the wild" 

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 09:17:23 PM » Author: Foxtronix
Looks like an effort to reduce the amount of mercury floating around, rather than additional energy efficiency improvements. Not surprising in the least; it's been an increasing trend in the last years.

And with initatives like the National strategy for lamps containing mercury, vintage lighting equipment is going to disappear FAST.

At least they make it sorta-kinda clear that ownership is not covered by these regulations. But even if it eventually were, my incandescent lamps don't contain any mercury so who's laughing now!  :bulbman:

I'd be careful with any sale involving bulbs crossing the border though, even on auction sites and the like. Buying a lamp covered by regulation from outside Canada and having it shipped to a Canadian location makes the buyer an importer, legally speaking. While it's true that a single lamp may not even draw any attention and slip right through, the buyer is still technically in violation. That's playing with fire really. Bonus points if it says right on the customs declaration "MERCURY LAMP". I would certainly not take that risk personally, I would rather pull the plug on this whole lamp collecting business. Wait, I already kinda did, so never mind LOL.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 09:35:17 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I sent a 100w MV lamp to Europe a few years ago . The buyer specifically asked me NOT to list it as a Mercury Lamp . I just listed it on the customs form as "Antique Light Bulb" !! It went though no problem !  :mrg:

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 09:50:33 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, I've been filling the customs forms with terms like "vintage light bulb" or "light fixture" and every time, it made it through no problem.

And to be honest, I think lamps containing mercury is low on the pecking order in terms of prohibited stuff that gets smuggled in this country on a daily basis... ::)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 10:00:18 PM by joseph_125 » Logged
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #5 on: March 20, 2023, 09:53:23 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 I doubt anyone's gonna cry over one measly light bulb ! Now a few cases or more might pose a problem !  :police:

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 10:00:07 PM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, if you buy a few cases at once or quantities to resell that might get you in hot water but a lamp or two, I think you'll be fine. You might have to jump through hoops to get them imported (ship to PO box in the States, drive over and bring it back yourself) though once eBay sellers and forwarders stop accepting though I guess.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #7 on: March 22, 2023, 02:19:46 AM » Author: dor123
Looks like an effort to reduce the amount of mercury floating around, rather than additional energy efficiency improvements. Not surprising in the least; it's been an increasing trend in the last years.

And with initatives like the National strategy for lamps containing mercury, vintage lighting equipment is going to disappear FAST.

At least they make it sorta-kinda clear that ownership is not covered by these regulations. But even if it eventually were, my incandescent lamps don't contain any mercury so who's laughing now!  :bulbman:

I'd be careful with any sale involving bulbs crossing the border though, even on auction sites and the like. Buying a lamp covered by regulation from outside Canada and having it shipped to a Canadian location makes the buyer an importer, legally speaking. While it's true that a single lamp may not even draw any attention and slip right through, the buyer is still technically in violation. That's playing with fire really. Bonus points if it says right on the customs declaration "MERCURY LAMP". I would certainly not take that risk personally, I would rather pull the plug on this whole lamp collecting business. Wait, I already kinda did, so never mind LOL.
Why not to ban tuna because it contains way more mercury than fluorescent and HID lamps...
And what about other way more poisoning materials that used to make LED lamps that aren't used to make fluorescent and HID lamps?
LED lamp manufacturing producing much more mercury than fluorescent and HID lamps manufacturing, as well as other poisoning metals that aren't emitted from regular lamp manufacturing.
There were also mercury free HPS lamps, which are only very slightly less efficient than regular HPS lamps.
What a BS all of these thing that politics wants to do with the regular lighting.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #8 on: March 22, 2023, 08:23:08 AM » Author: Foxtronix
I sent a 100w MV lamp to Europe a few years ago . The buyer specifically asked me NOT to list it as a Mercury Lamp . I just listed it on the customs form as "Antique Light Bulb" !! It went though no problem !  :mrg:

Yeah, I've been filling the customs forms with terms like "vintage light bulb" or "light fixture" and every time, it made it through no problem.

And to be honest, I think lamps containing mercury is low on the pecking order in terms of prohibited stuff that gets smuggled in this country on a daily basis... ::)

I have no doubts about that. They may in fact not care at all about anything non-commercial / individual bulbs. I guess there could also be ways to argue the bulbs are acquired for historical / preservation purposes and not to be actually used for lighting. Maybe there's an exception somewhere for this! But in all cases that's not an amount of hassle I'm willing to go through. Because on top of that, the sales themselves are also going to be banned. Isn't the US government also considering doing the same thing? So aside from local garage sales and maybe some thrift stores, there won't be much to buy anyway.

In the few months before the end date however, there's potential for a lot of NOS merchandise reappearing for a clearance sale after decades of storage!  :wndr:

Why not to ban tuna because it contains way more mercury than fluorescent and HID lamps...
And what about other way more poisoning materials that used to make LED lamps that aren't used to make fluorescent and HID lamps?
LED lamp manufacturing producing much more mercury than fluorescent and HID lamps manufacturing, as well as other poisoning metals that aren't emitted from regular lamp manufacturing.
There were also mercury free HPS lamps, which are only very slightly less efficient than regular HPS lamps.
What a BS all of these thing that politics wants to do with the regular lighting.

Food is covered by other regulations, whose effectiveness is debatable. But let's not dive into politics.

I'll just mention that I have my doubts as to what are the actual environmental effects of such regulations, i.e. we're not told everything.

RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

rcm442 UC1Q-wYhi9O-1q4ugOaOZ9dA rcm442
Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #9 on: March 22, 2023, 12:49:02 PM » Author: RCM442
Bans are stupid. But if you look at my gallery I'm set for either life or a long time!

LEDs need to stop taking over everything
Administrator #4
Need help with something on the site? Let me know!

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #10 on: March 22, 2023, 03:26:30 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
It seems like Canada is on course to have an LED-ONLY future by 2029 according to the proposed ban.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 03:28:32 PM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #11 on: March 22, 2023, 04:25:56 PM » Author: joseph_125
Well, unfortunately this type of "one size fits all" thinking is quite prevalent in modern thinking and with the current government here. I'd give some more examples outside of lighting but it's gonna get too political. The other thing is bans like these serve to fill the "do something" quota. 

Hopefully someone does something about the cheap junk LED products that aren't designed to be repaired and something about the low CRI and high CCT LED products that have this nasty blue undertone.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #12 on: March 22, 2023, 04:37:43 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 Again , new production products will be gone but a lot of existing fixtures will still be in service long after most of us are dead and buried ! And there's almost no way any government can ban the use of or come and take away such products as there's WAY too many constitutional and political arguments that will prevent it .

Look at the amount of 40+ yr. old fixtures that are still running on the original or 2nd lamp ! That would mean that a fixture installed in 2028 , 1 yr before the ban could still be running in 2050 or later ! By then , I'll either be dead or have lost so many screws and marbles that I won't care either way !!  :lol: :lol:

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #13 on: March 22, 2023, 04:51:15 PM » Author: joseph_125
Agreed, tracking my lamp replacement cycles, a lot of my infrequently used HID and fluorescent fixtures I installed when I got into lighting in 2009-2010 are still on the original lamps I put in them back then. Even assuming a more frequent usage pattern of 4 hours per day, a 24000 hour lamp will last 16 years before requiring replacement. That's quite a long period of time for a single lamp. Now assume you bought a case worth, that's enough for a lifetime and then some. I still know of some mercury lights still in use with their BT28 175w 70s and 80s era lamps and even spotted some BT25 HPS lamps one time.

Now lamp types such as incandescent do last a lot shorter but there are tricks to extend the life if you run them at reduced power. I'd imagine with current energy prices, you probably wouldn't want to use incandescent for high illumination levels so for accent lighting it'll work out fine.

And to be honest, once you go past the cheap eBay/dollar store/Aliexpress/box store special grade LED stuff, they're a lot better in terms of light quality compared to the cheap stuff. Unfortunately people want cheap so a lot of your basic LED stuff is kinda junky. Besides, by 2030 or 2050, there's probably a new lighting tech out there.

At the end of the day, I'd worry less about the LEDpocalypse and focus my energy towards what I can control.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #14 on: March 22, 2023, 04:54:43 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
My thoughts exactly ! Since I can't stop LED's from taking over , I think I'll try to stop the sun from setting so I don't have to see them lit !   :mrg: :lol:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies