Author Topic: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future  (Read 4131 times)
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #30 on: May 28, 2023, 11:08:25 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Colorado's proposed bill passed this year, so as of Jan 1 2025 ... " a person shall not manufacture, distribute, sell, or offer for sale in Colorado any [strike]new[/strike] linear florescent lamp or compact fluorescent lamp"
The bill also includes a bunch of other bullsh--- for fans/appliances/showers/faucets/sprinklers.....

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #31 on: May 28, 2023, 11:36:13 PM » Author: RRK
Back in the days when the green parties started to make gains, I thought it was a progressive development. How I was wrong... Banning shower heads... Damn! Making everyone to have a 500W vacuum, but which literally 'sucks'... How far we have gone :(

I heard some idiots in California banned Edison lamp sockets, making GX pucks the only option. Is it really true??
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #32 on: May 29, 2023, 03:45:39 PM » Author: joseph_125
I'm not surprised if they did in fact ban E-26 socketed lights in new construction. During the tail end of the CFL era, I remember they were trying to push for fixtures in new construction to only have GU-24 sockets, which was originally developed as a self ballasted CFL exclusive socket which required special GU-24 CFLs. When LED came around, versions of those with GU-24 sockets were as sold.

I don't think consumers really liked GU-24, since it required special lamps, they were typically more expensive than the E-26 version and you'd typically get much less options at retail for GU-24 in terms of wattage and CCT compared to E-26. At least most GU-24 sockets were easily swapped for standard E-26 sockets. Later on, cheap imported GU-24 to E-26 adapters intended to allow the use of E-26 LED lamps showed up but also had the side effect of letting you use incandescent lamps too.
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #33 on: May 30, 2023, 12:51:27 AM » Author: suzukir122
The kind of ban I'm afraid of the most, although it's unlikely to happen: "A person shall not use Fluorescent Lamps, CFL's, Metal Halide, Mercury Vapor, HPS,
or any lamp containing an arc tube. Any persons caught in the act of using arc tubes of any kind will be arrested and charged. Any persons caught in the
act of using Incandescent or Halogen lamps of any kind will be arrested and charged. All persons must convert to LED within the next 10 days,
or be subject to criminal prosecution."
Okay, that sounds a bit extreme, but that is the level of stupidity I'm most afraid of. If that happens, I would fight that stupidity with all I've got.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #34 on: May 30, 2023, 07:00:26 AM » Author: Rommie
Can't see that happening, they wouldn't have enough people to enforce it  :D

Can you imagine the Lamp Police going door-to-door looking for secret stashes of incandescent bulbs..?  :mrg:

Never going to happen  ::)

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #35 on: May 30, 2023, 08:10:34 AM » Author: suzukir122
@Rommie, this is true. They'd have very limited people to enforce it, and they'd also have very limited success, since nobody would allow them entry
into their homes.
But yeah regarding lamp bans in general, I'm fighting it by purchasing and using the lighting I'm heavily interested in. My detached garage
is almost completed regarding this. My apartment is next. lol

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #36 on: May 30, 2023, 09:54:18 AM » Author: Rommie
We only use incandescent, halogen and CFL here, we have sufficient stock to see us for the next 30 years, by which time I'll likely be in my box and beyond caring  :DeAtH:

The only LEDs we have are the little indicator lamps on various bits of kit to show they're switched on or whatever, that's what LEDs were intended for, although even there I'd really prefer neon  :ne2: :P :mrg:

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #37 on: May 30, 2023, 10:11:57 AM » Author: suzukir122
I'm somewhat there as well... the only LED's I have are on my bike and my car... used for indication and DRL's. The other LED's I have are used to light
up my displays on my laptops and my phone... that's it, and it will not go any further than that. Not even... if... I get married someday.
I'm sure my girl will try and force the LED's my way though at first, especially with the lighting ban leading to a limited number of other lighting choices outside of home.

Interests:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #38 on: May 30, 2023, 10:20:43 AM » Author: Rommie
Well fortunately my girl thinks the same way I do  :-* :love:

Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #39 on: May 30, 2023, 11:56:20 AM » Author: Jovan
It's already underway. The tungsten filament is preparing its revenge  :P
Oh yes.I would like to see that in my home ? As far as I understood it has more luemns per watt than SOX lamp ?
RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #40 on: May 30, 2023, 01:28:36 PM » Author: RRK
I tried some IR reflector G4 halogens (IIRC, by Osram) a few years ago. Bought by a chance in supermarket in Geneva on a sale, but still at unhealthy price. Just wanted to play with IRC incandescents.  Did not hold the promise. Not much light and poor lifetime. A disappointment. Plus the light had a slight greenish tint.
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #41 on: May 31, 2023, 07:44:10 AM » Author: AngryHorse
@Rommie, this is true. They'd have very limited people to enforce it, and they'd also have very limited success, since nobody would allow them entry
into their homes.
But yeah regarding lamp bans in general, I'm fighting it by purchasing and using the lighting I'm heavily interested in. My detached garage
is almost completed regarding this. My apartment is next. lol
Realistically they would do something you would have absolutely no power over, if lamp bans got this tyrannical they would just switch your smart meter off, or disconnect you from the transformer until you complied!  :police:

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #42 on: May 31, 2023, 08:32:48 AM » Author: suzukir122
@Angryhorse, yeah that's another potential way. Even though that's also unlikely, given how insane many people are, (especially nowadays) if that were to
happen it would more than likely cause complete chaos. :lol:

Interests:

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #43 on: May 31, 2023, 10:16:45 AM » Author: AngryHorse
That’s the only thing against you guys in the US, your electricity meter is outside, they could come when you were not in and remove your meter like they were doing when they fitted smart meters without the owners consent!
It’s a bit different here as both meter and service cut out are usually inside, but if you have a smart meter they can turn it off remotely on a computer 200 miles away in some office somewhere!  :o

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Canada banning HID and fluorescent lamps in the near future « Reply #44 on: May 31, 2023, 10:24:47 AM » Author: Rommie
A lot of them are fitted outside in a meter box, especially on new builds. They only need a simple key to unlock them, which you can buy in any hardware store.

We're in a block of 6 flats, the supply intake and cutout fuses are in a locked (but relatively easy to access) cupboard in the lobby, but the meter is inside. As you say though, they can switch the smart meters off remotely, but they're unlikely to do that unless you don't pay the bill, they want your money, and you can't spend it without juice  ;D

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies