Author Topic: The two 54W HO T5 lamps in the kitchen at my father home turns on/off by me  (Read 2378 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

The two 54W HO T5 lamps in the kitchen at my father home turns on/off by me « on: April 05, 2010, 02:58:27 PM » Author: dor123
http://picasaweb.google.com/110595932802324922410/Lighting?authkey=Gv1sRgCI6D9bav-ezxcQ#5456724648384770626
In this viedo i initially turn the lamps on and then manually turn the lamps off and after less then 1/2 sec back on.
Check this out: Is this a normal behavior for a programmed start electronic ballast in all of these states to do this?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 09:02:30 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The krypton T5 lamps in the kitchen at my father home turns on/off by me « Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 04:15:52 PM » Author: Medved
For better quality ballast yes. Every start (so after power was OFF) the ballast spend programmed amount of time only preheating cathodes (with no or safely insufficient lamp voltage to trigger the arc during this time), only after this time elapses, the ballast apply high voltage for lamp ignition. The time is designed, with margin, to allow cathodes to attain temperature necessary for electron emission with low voltage drop. So it is ensured, then the discharge would never happen on cold electrodes, as this is their main start-related wear. Heating electrodes for longer time then necessary (e.g. when they didn't cool down yet due to very short power OFF duration, as in your video) is way less damaging, so ballasts are designed so, then even momentary power drop cause complete reset of the circuit, so new, complete, starting sequence is triggered, including preheat section.

No more selfballasted c***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: The krypton T5 lamps in the kitchen at my father home turns on/off by me « Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 05:58:54 AM » Author: dor123
So this two Krypton T5 HO lamps fixture actually have a programmed start ballast. And this also means that there was (and still there is) NO CFL lamp (Even the good old electronic ones like my Osram Dulux EL longlife) that use this mothed of ballast. Since my Osram Dulux EL longlife and also the Philips PL E-x lamps that had 15,000 hours life, ignited much more quickly at hot restrike then at first turn on (The more shorter the lamps turned off and the more hot the electrodes and the lamp were: The shorter the preheating before the lamp ignited). And if these lamps were turned off and back on within 0.5 sec when hot they ignited instantly.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The krypton T5 lamps in the kitchen at my father home turns on/off by me « Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 07:13:50 AM » Author: Medved
There are some, e.g. Osram's "FACILITY", Megaman "Ingenium" families,...
Generally these are specified as "unlimitted start cycles" (or similar) and this feature is correspondingly advertised.

And all phase-cut dimmable CFL's with dimming range down to ~10% have such feature as well, but it is rather a consequence - the dimming functionality require more advanced controller, where the programmed start is the cheapest way to ensure reliable starting (they use separated oscillator from the power stage, so can not be resonance-cobntrolled like on cheap CFL ballasts)

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies