Author Topic: Hidden Dangers of Halogen Lamps  (Read 933 times)
LightUpMyLife

View Posts
View Gallery

https://www.facebook.com/ https://twitter.com/TedTa
Hidden Dangers of Halogen Lamps « on: January 29, 2023, 08:13:28 PM » Author: LightUpMyLife
Cam upon this video on my home page. YouTube Scientist Brainiac75 shows us why halogen lamps need to have protective glass.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/qNpF8rB5sNc
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Hidden Dangers of Halogen Lamps « Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 04:11:53 AM » Author: dor123
He mainly speak about the UV radiation from halogen lamps, which here in Israel, lots of people warned from it.
But the intensity of the UVB and UVC radiation is very low compared to UVA. Are they still can damage the skin and eyes?

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Hidden Dangers of Halogen Lamps « Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 08:44:38 AM » Author: Medved
The UVB starts to appear at levels exceeding the "safe limits", therefore it is considered as "not safe". But (unless I misunderstood the concept) the limits are based on an exposure from very small distance (based on what could be a typical arrangement with home lighting, like desk lamps or so), I doubt anyone will be so close to such high power halogen lamp, just due to the heat alone.

But there are other risks involved, which also are calling for a sturdy cover glass, mainly the disintegration of the hot tube and the consequent hot shower posing a fire risk when the lamp fails (and that include the case of being damaged by an external effect). So I would still consider operating such high power lamp without any cover as unsafe...

No more selfballasted c***

flyoffacliff

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Hidden Dangers of Halogen Lamps « Reply #3 on: April 03, 2023, 07:24:16 PM » Author: flyoffacliff
I used to have a light over my kitchen island that used those bi-pin halogen capsules that were so common in the mid/late 2000s. After pushing the bulb into the socket you manually screwed the protective cover over it. Inevitably, the lamp gets so hot that the cover would essentially weld itself in place. My parents just smashed the glass out of the cover and left the bare halogen capsules exposed.

I remember one of them exploded and shot molten glass all over the kitchen. Then a few years later the insulation behind one of the sockets melted and it arced a bit. They were never over-lamped, but we're used for lots of hours at a time.

At that point we got rid of that death trap of a light fixture.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies