Author Topic: Are there people who are using Lubuntu or other Linux based OS  (Read 2837 times)
Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Are there people who are using Lubuntu or other Linux based OS « on: April 19, 2023, 06:16:43 PM » Author: Jovan
Hello to everyone.I have older PC(EsprimoE5905) which is used for backup of IDE hard drives.I decided to restore it and use in my room.PC has P4 CPU @ 3.2GHz,with 2GB DDDR2 and SATA interface.I put Lubuntu on it and it works well.Are there some advices for using Lubuntu and older PC ?It runs better than Windows honestly :)

P.S I wrote this on Windows 10,I need to buy SSD and other things to make it working
Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Are there people who are using Lubuntu or other Linux based OS « Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 07:43:47 PM » Author: Foxtronix
Linux is a different mindset, first of all.

I've been using Linux in parallel of Windows since 2012, and one thing I've noticed is that some of the tasks that are easy to do on Windows can be tricky on Linux and vice versa. Many of the problems you may encounter when using Linux already have solutions and can easily be found on the web.

Be prepared to use the terminal, A LOT. Graphical user interfaces are often well polished, but not always. In some cases it's just quicker and easier to type a command in the terminal. Lately I've been working on repurposing an old PC just about the same specs as yours along with an old Hauppauge PVR-150 video capture card for recording retro-gaming sessions. I installed an old version of Debian on it to make sure all the necessary drivers are already in the kernel, and while the initial results were promising, it didn't exactly work right away. Eventually I decided to start VLC (the program I use to run the capture) not from the menu, but from the terminal to get it to talk to me a little bit. When launched from a terminal command, programs often write status and error messages to the terminal, which you won't necessarily get if you start said program the "Windows" way. That's how I quickly found out that VLC was dropping almost all the captured frames. Keeping VLC's window very small and increasing its buffer to 2 seconds fixed the problem.

Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are there people who are using Lubuntu or other Linux based OS « Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 08:11:17 PM » Author: Jovan
Thanks for explanation.I needed 2 days to learn Lubuntu,it really needs termina for many apps.I changed some preferences on it like keyboard input and other things using terminal and internet solutions.I noticed that old PCs tend to bug if electrolitic caps are swollen.I am glad that my old PC will be usable,because I hate throwing usable things.Also I noticed that Lubuntu has less bugs and PC turns off for 5 seconds on HDD(SATA).Well "Made in Germany" says all :)
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Are there people who are using Lubuntu or other Linux based OS « Reply #3 on: April 20, 2023, 02:07:00 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Ria and myself use Fedora Linux on our machines and it does pretty much everything that we need virtually straight out of the box.  8)
There were a couple of repositories that had to be added, but apart from that no extra work needed to be done and the whole OS, plus the utilities that we use get updated when they come out, and are done in the background.  ;D
None of this 'Please wait while your PC configures' nonsense.!!! ???  >:(  :curse:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are there people who are using Lubuntu or other Linux based OS « Reply #4 on: April 20, 2023, 02:07:56 PM » Author: Rommie
Besides, if Fedora is good enough for Linus Torvalds, who developed the Linux kernel, it's good enough for us ;D

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are there people who are using Lubuntu or other Linux based OS « Reply #5 on: April 20, 2023, 07:22:18 PM » Author: Jovan
Ria and myself use Fedora Linux on our machines and it does pretty much everything that we need virtually straight out of the box.  8)
There were a couple of repositories that had to be added, but apart from that no extra work needed to be done and the whole OS, plus the utilities that we use get updated when they come out, and are done in the background.  ;D
None of this 'Please wait while your PC configures' nonsense.!!! ???  >:(  :curse:
When I got Esprimo back in 2016/17 it had Linux Fedora,nice system for 1GB of RAM and also I am pleased with low RAM usage on Lubuntu with 2GB.Also drivers are thing of past with Linux based OS :) Also how dangerous are CRT monitors ? I don't wear glasses nor have problems with eyesight,but CRT gives me eye strain and I feel like my eyey are dry,while LCD and modern displays don't give me this.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 07:26:12 PM by Jovan » Logged
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are there people who are using Lubuntu or other Linux based OS « Reply #6 on: April 20, 2023, 07:25:55 PM » Author: Rommie
I confess to not being a fan of Debian/Ubuntu-based systems, I'm not impressed with some of the default security settings and the command prompts are subtly different as well. Having used Fedora for 12+ years I'm used to how it works, so I doubt I'll be changing any time soon. Besides, as I said, if it's good enough for the inventor of the Linux kernel, it's good enough for us  ;D

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are there people who are using Lubuntu or other Linux based OS « Reply #7 on: April 20, 2023, 07:31:19 PM » Author: Jovan
I must agree that it is safer than Windows.I was told that such OS are more usable than some recently unsuported Windows verisons.Also do you think that CRTs are dangerous to use ?
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are there people who are using Lubuntu or other Linux based OS « Reply #8 on: April 20, 2023, 07:54:52 PM » Author: Rommie
Sammi and I are both very much Linux converts, so I hope I don't come across as 'preaching' too much. But any Linux distribution is better than Windows; for a start it's free..! Plus the package managers generally update all the programs and applications you have installed, so you don't have to remember to upgrade Firefox or whatever it is, it's all taken care of automatically. We get updates pretty much every day. This is another good thing about Fedora in particular; because it is updated so frequently, it doesn't attract the attention of the malodorous individuals who promulgate viruses (should that be virii..?!) as any problems are picked up by beta testers and other developers long before the software gets publicly released.

As for CRT's, all I can say is I'm still here after using them for more years than I care to remember  :mrg:

Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are there people who are using Lubuntu or other Linux based OS « Reply #9 on: April 21, 2023, 11:54:19 AM » Author: Jovan
I agree with that.On Linux everything is done by OS itself.No more drivers and so on.Linux for PCs(especially older)is something like Retro Shine for old white plastic.I am not afraid of CRTs but their image is not pleasant for my eyes.I have one still working and now it is in garage stored as reserve
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are there people who are using Lubuntu or other Linux based OS « Reply #10 on: April 21, 2023, 11:58:43 AM » Author: Rommie
Heh..! Ok, so it wasn't a PC monitor (although it would have made an amazing one..!) but the best CRT screen I ever saw was at a friend's house in San Francisco some years ago. He was an engineer for one of the local TV stations and was also into 'TV DXing' (receiving signals from a long distance away) and had at the time a huge Sony 50" CRT TV..! It was massive, but I'll tell you one thing, it beat any flat screen I've ever seen hands down in quality and definition..! I suppose 8K or something may well be better, but I've no direct experience of those so can't comment.

Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are there people who are using Lubuntu or other Linux based OS « Reply #11 on: April 21, 2023, 12:41:26 PM » Author: Jovan
50inch TV back in the day had a lot of weight :) CRTs have deeper colors due to its nature of producing images,also there is no input lag.Black is real black on CRT monitors/TVs.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are there people who are using Lubuntu or other Linux based OS « Reply #12 on: April 21, 2023, 12:43:49 PM » Author: Rommie
Oh yeah, I have no idea how he got it up the stairs  :o  :mrg:

Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are there people who are using Lubuntu or other Linux based OS « Reply #13 on: April 21, 2023, 12:46:36 PM » Author: Jovan
I think he switched off gravity or mayve he is strongman :)
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are there people who are using Lubuntu or other Linux based OS « Reply #14 on: April 21, 2023, 12:51:29 PM » Author: Rommie
I remember reading a science fiction story set on a huge 'generation' spaceship, with thousands of people on it. As is usual in these stories, they had artificial gravity (wish someone would invent that for real..!) and the ship's computer system was programmed so that if someone fell from a height such as off a balcony or down a stairwell, all they had to do was yell 'Falling' at the top of their voice and the gravity for their immediate location would be instantly switched off, so they didn't injure or possibly kill themselves. Of course it was a favourite trick of the kids on board that they'd creep up behind one of their mates and yell 'Falling' and said mate would unexpectedly find themselves floating in mid-air  :lol:

Wish we could do that for real  :mrg:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies