Author Topic: Cleaning a SOX Lamp  (Read 728 times)
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Cleaning a SOX Lamp « on: April 20, 2023, 08:42:01 PM » Author: Econolite03
(Disclaimer: I have no idea if this is the right section to post this thread, so mods feel free to move it.)

I have a Philips SOX lamp, and unfortunately the lamp has some sort of residue on the outer glass from being in storage. It looks like something that could be cleaned easily with rag with water but I don't want to risk doing any damage to the lamp. Any ideas (preferably from experience) that I could use to clean the lamp safely is welcomed.

Thanks.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cleaning a SOX Lamp « Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 08:52:25 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 I typically just use windex . (BE VERY CAREFUL AROUND THE ETCH !!!)

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Cleaning a SOX Lamp « Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 08:53:35 PM » Author: Econolite03
I was thinking exactly that. How well does it work?
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cleaning a SOX Lamp « Reply #3 on: April 20, 2023, 08:57:09 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 It will usually remove most contaminents from the glass (I have also wiped off an etch or 2 !)  I've also used 0000 steel wool to remove heavier contaminents but I don't know if that will damage any coatings on a SOX lamp .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Cleaning a SOX Lamp « Reply #4 on: April 20, 2023, 08:58:45 PM » Author: Econolite03
10-4.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Cleaning a SOX Lamp « Reply #5 on: April 20, 2023, 10:59:49 PM » Author: joseph_125
On more delicate lamps, I start with a slightly damp paper towel. If that doesn't work, I get some 70% isopropyl alcohol from the pharmacy, put that on a paper towel and wipe the lamp off with that.

Be careful around the etch, or avoid it if it's not too dirty.
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Cleaning a SOX Lamp « Reply #6 on: April 21, 2023, 01:37:17 AM » Author: Econolite03
Ahh, I see.

So here’s what I ended up doing, I took a rag with a little bit of water and it cleaned the lamp perfectly. I did avoid the etch so that’s fine.
Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cleaning a SOX Lamp « Reply #7 on: April 21, 2023, 09:00:16 AM » Author: Michael
Just avoid cleaning the bulb on the inside as there the reflective coating resides.  :'-)

The outside surface may be cleaned like a normal bulb or fluorescent tube ex. the etch.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies